What's new
What's new

Okuma ES-V4020 vs newer mid priced machines

Widget Maker

Plastic
I have been looking for a larger capacity VMC and came across a 2000 Okuma ES-V4020 from a trade school with under 200 hrs. OSP U10M control, no DNC, not enough memory, 8K spindle. There are some newer low hour repo machines of similar to greater capacity and features with Fanuc and Anilam controls for the same money. How does the 9 year old basically new Okuma compare to the newer mid priced machines in regards to quality, durability, etc? Are there any third party sources for Okuma parts, particularly DNC boards? I know it was made in eastern Europe, is it a "real" Okuma in quality ie something I won't regret paying Okuma prices for parts and upgrading to DNC etc?

Don't know where mine was made but I have an Okuma Vertical 4020 that was put in place in Feb 2003 and has run 24/5 since then with only the occasional breakdown. It is married to a Midaco two Pallet system and runs parts all day.

The small breakdowns we have seen have all been related to the pallet system or poor maintenance not the Okuma Machine.

I have been quite impressed with the Okuma's in the last 15 or so years.

Good Luck

Mohawk

I am not familiar with the ES-V4020, I have a 1996 MC-4020V & a MC-3016, and I can tell you they are very impressive. they are assembled in the czech republic with japaneese parts. I also own an MB-46VAE which is okumas premium vertical mill, made entirely in japan. there is a difference between the 2 models, the mb's are absolutely unbelievable in accuracy, rigidity, and speen. the mc-v's are okumas model to compete with the haas market. they are way, way better than a haas. one thing to keep in mind is the okumas control is software driven. changing memory etc.. requires reloading the operating system. my mc-v;s are 8k spindles also and they are very rigid.
charlie

Back