What's new
What's new

Undersized VFD for a CNC spindle?

snowluck2345

Aluminum
I am considering using a 1hp 110V VFD to power a 2.2KW ER20 router spindle. Are there any significant issues with this, beyond the spindle being limited to ~=34% of its maximum power and torque? I like that the 2.2KW spindle uses larger ER20 collets.

For my application 1hp is very well sufficient. Sticking to 110V for the system rather than having a secondary 208V (in my case) / 220V input would be nice.

20170411_155213.jpg

VFDs are cheap. Get the right size and supply it with the power it needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A couple of things you should know:

A 120v VFD will only have a 170v DC bus, 220v(240v) VFD will have a 340v bus.

This spindle is designed for 220v and a 120v VFD will not supply the correct voltage to run the full RPM range.

These spindles are dirt cheap with a VFD, a 3HP VFD is only $120, you are better off getting the right VFD.

I am considering using a 1hp 110V VFD to power a 2.2KW ER20 router spindle. Are there any significant issues with this, beyond the spindle being limited to ~=34% of its maximum power and torque? I like that the 2.2KW spindle uses larger ER20 collets.

For my application 1hp is very well sufficient. Sticking to 110V for the system rather than having a secondary 208V (in my case) / 220V input would be nice.

View attachment 196509

So buy a VFD rated for 3 or 4 HP if/as/when fed 240 VAC 1-P, and rated for 1.5 or 2 HP if/as/when fed 120 VAC 1-P, delivering 230 VAC 3-P OUTPUT in either case. A voltage your spindle wants 'available', even if run at low-loads and odd choices of Hz.

Unless you need an oddly-shaped and short-lived room-heater with an ER master collet system on one end of it instead?

Lots of such VFD around these days. Some are cheap. Others are good. Far fewer are both.

TANSTAAFL

This is the VFD I was planning on using: WJ2-7MF 1 HP .7kW 115V Single Phase Input VFD - Hitachi
Can you point me in the right direction for drives that accept a 220v or 110v input?

The "usual suspects" include Galco - who have a rather useful search & selection toolset, but it takes getting used to, Wolf Automation, Drives Warehouse, Drives Direct, and a several others.

My one, here was made by Weg, and was on sale at Galco, IIRC.

Most of the 'major' VFD makers now offer them - you are far from the first person with a need.
Do your research. Save grief and hassle.

The 'money' isn't all that different if you figure it over a VFD's typical five to ten year lifespan.

Beyond about seven years, the better makers will have suggested a new set of capacitors, and those usually cost as much as a whole new VFD, so... RPC's and Phase-Perfects can each last a great deal longer than the average VFD.

Last edited:

Coincidentally, I just got the exact same KBDF-27D VFD to run a 1.5kw spindle from the far east, on a router - also with an ER20 nose. The specs from KB say it will deliver 1.2kw when powered from 115v, and I expect that to be enough for the application anyway.

Can you enlighten me on how you wired in the VFD from the breakout board? Also, four years later, how's it working out for you?

Back