What's new
What's new

Upgraded firmware and RAM on DynaPath Delta 20

madsci

Plastic
Not a question, just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else is searching for the information.

I recently picked up a Tree Journeyman 325 with a DynaPath Delta 20M control, but I found the firmware was out of date - I don't think it had been updated since the machine was shipped in 1989. It also had only 60K of RAM, out of a maximum of 120K. Not a big deal when I'm mostly drip-feeding it, but extra program storage and buffer space is never a bad thing. The biggest problem was that the old firmware version only supported drip feed at up to 4800 baud, and I knew the hardware was capable of 9600. I didn't want it getting data-starved while doing engraving and complex shapes, so I started looking into upgrading it.

DynaPath wanted $500 each for the firmware EPROMs and the RAM upgrade. I got lucky and found the latest version (PA5124), dated 1993, on a board someone was selling on eBay. Swapped out the EPROMs and added two 32K SRAM chips to empty sockets 1F and 3F and it booted right up, and reported 120K program storage available.

If anyone's interested I'll find the exact part number for the RAM chips. They're about $2.50 each at Digi-Key, and the modern parts draw 1/2 or 1/4 as much power as the originals, so the backup battery should last longer. Now I'm just curious what the empty sockets 1G and 3G are for.

If you do perform this upgrade, keep in mind that pulling the controller board out of the cage will disconnect it from the backup battery. I forgot about that and lost a few (thankfully simple) part programs that way.

I think my next project for the machine is going to be a little touch-screen DNC box that will take files over Wifi, and maybe add a hand wheel.

Hi

Im putting a retrofit on my Tree and have the spindle motor and good axis drives if you are interested. Also the pulleys and belts for the servos.

Im putting a retrofit on my Tree and have the spindle motor and good axis drives if you are interested. Also the pulleys and belts for the servos.

I'll keep that in mind. So far the machine has been working *almost* flawlessly - a couple of times I've had it just mysteriously stop in the middle of a program and refuse to move any axis, but without any fault message. Exactly like if the feed rate override knob was set to 0. Hopefully it's something easy like a dead spot in the feed rate override pot.

I'm guessing those parts would be a bit heavy and expensive to ship, though it would be nice to have spares.

(We have a 50, so this may not apply...)
Will the 20 allow you to transfer your part program from an external computer to the hard drive (if you have one)? If so, it may be better to put the program on the hard drive first, then "drip feed" from the Hard Drive to the Part Program memory. That way, data speed has no impact on the progress of execution.

matthewlee -- may have an interest in some of your spares as well, if madsci passes. Can you PM list and prices?

Chip

Madsci,

I have a machining center with a delta 20 on it. I'd be interested in part #'s for the memory chips.

Thanks,
Big B

I have a machining center with a delta 20 on it. I'd be interested in part #'s for the memory chips.

I'm pretty sure I went with the Alliance Memory U62256ADK07LLG1. I can check on Monday. Any 28-pin 256 kb (32k x 8) static RAM that runs on 5 volts would probably work. Anything you'd buy new will be faster and lower power than what the machine was designed for.

Will the 20 allow you to transfer your part program from an external computer to the hard drive (if you have one)?

I've never heard of a hard drive option for the Delta 20. It does accept cassette tape, though!

If it had a hard drive, or any other reasonably high-speed storage interface, I'd hack together a network-enabled expansion for it. I'm a noob when it comes to machining, but I'm pretty handy with embedded systems.

mathewlee,
I may be interested in your Dynapath spares if no one else has purchased them. I sent you a pm.

Thanks
btm

madsci,
Thanks for the info. I have a Dynapath Delta 20 that I have been running for years. It's been very reliable, and I've been looking into some of the upgrades, you've just mentioned.

btm

I'm pretty sure I went with the Alliance Memory U62256ADK07LLG1. I can check on Monday. Any 28-pin 256 kb (32k x 8) static RAM that runs on 5 volts would probably work. Anything you'd buy new will be faster and lower power than what the machine was designed for.

Do you mean 32 pin?
My SRAM chips are 32 pin 128Kx8 Toshiba TC551001BPL-10 on my Delta 20 board.
I'm wondering if the Delta 20 board could handle 512Kx8 SRAM.

I've found these:
AS6C48-55PCN - Low Power CMOS SRAM 4MB 32pin 6mil DIP 2.7-5V 512k x 8

Not a question, just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else is searching for the information.

I recently picked up a Tree Journeyman 325 with a DynaPath Delta 20M control, but I found the firmware was out of date - I don't think it had been updated since the machine was shipped in 1989. It also had only 60K of RAM, out of a maximum of 120K. Not a big deal when I'm mostly drip-feeding it, but extra program storage and buffer space is never a bad thing. The biggest problem was that the old firmware version only supported drip feed at up to 4800 baud, and I knew the hardware was capable of 9600. I didn't want it getting data-starved while doing engraving and complex shapes, so I started looking into upgrading it.

DynaPath wanted $500 each for the firmware EPROMs and the RAM upgrade. I got lucky and found the latest version (PA5124), dated 1993, on a board someone was selling on eBay. Swapped out the EPROMs and added two 32K SRAM chips to empty sockets 1F and 3F and it booted right up, and reported 120K program storage available.

If anyone's interested I'll find the exact part number for the RAM chips. They're about $2.50 each at Digi-Key, and the modern parts draw 1/2 or 1/4 as much power as the originals, so the backup battery should last longer. Now I'm just curious what the empty sockets 1G and 3G are for.

If you do perform this upgrade, keep in mind that pulling the controller board out of the cage will disconnect it from the backup battery. I forgot about that and lost a few (thankfully simple) part programs that way.

I think my next project for the machine is going to be a little touch-screen DNC box that will take files over Wifi, and maybe add a hand wheel.
I'm definitely interested in this upgrade I use my delta 20 everyday and it starves for code while engraving and it would be nice to have some more memory, I've got 2 extra newer sets of boards but idk which chip I need to look for, if you still have the info I'd really appreciate the help so I can get this done. Thanks

Back