What's new
What's new

Used Haas Q

Nerdlinger

Stainless
Hi all! I'm in the market for a used Haas VF-2. ($25k-ish) We have three different generations...ones from maybe '98 with the orange monochrome display, ones from maybe '02 with the first white/blue LCD display, and then an '07 super speed. The "new" used machine we're looking to add is just for straight forward drilling, counterboring, milling in low alloy steel...no CTS, no 4th, or even HSM lookahead required.

My question is this - do you find any certain vintage VF-2 to be less problematic than any other? It seems like with us the newest machines have the most problems, but maybe that's because we're running it at "super speed." The slower rapids and tool changes will make up for a reduction in down time if, in fact, it seems like the older Haas's are more robust than the newer ones. Any general input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Bonus question - we have only ever run Haas and Brother VMC's. Used Brothers are hard to find which is why I'm falling back on a Haas (we need it quick.) I am really not interested in introducing another control to my shop floor because the operators are SO used to what they have been running for so long but maybe there is another machine someone would recommend that is more reliable than a Haas but has a very similar control???? I imagine anything with a Fanuc control would be pretty similar? Doosan? Thanks!

I'd think newer is better. You may be noticing that the machines you demand more from are having more issues. Got a two year old VF-3SS here that I'm pretty happy with. I never would have chosen a Haas myself before but this one's got me convinced.

2000-2005 seemed to be very un-problematic for me... but there could be very expensive issues finding parts since Haas no longer likes to support them.

Back