What's new
What's new

Users of Mazak with ATC - issues with tooling seating cleanly?

GibsonI

Aluminum
Hi Guys,

I am looking at an early 1990's Mazak QT 28M ATC.

I am not familiar with these tool changers but have a concern about the fact that the tooling thats not being used has its seating surfaces exposed to all the rubbish inside the machine during machining and is then, without cleaning, expected to seat with micron reapeatibility.

Is this an issue?

Any other problems with these ATC? Or general comments on these machines.

Regards, Iain.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at an early 1990's Mazak QT 28M ATC.

I am not familiar with these tool changers but have a concern about the fact that the tooling thats not being used has its seating surfaces exposed to all the rubbish inside the machine during machining and is then, without cleaning, expected to seat with micron reapeatibility.

Is this an issue?

Any other problems with these ATC? Or general comments on these machines.

Regards, Iain.

I run a ST20ATC, it's one weakness is the tool repeatability, I used to regularly see a 0.1mm "blip" in part dimensions. Regular cleaning (after each shift) helped a bit, but after months of "blips" we decided a more radical solution was required! By increasing the air pressure to 7 bar and most importantly, drilling out the coolant non-return valve on the spindle nose, the problem has all but gone (machining brass is still a bit of a problem). We got our machine for £9k, spent £2k on getting it up & running and within 6 months it paid for itself, top machine once you get used to it's little quirks.

Back