What's new
What's new

Very noob question about feeds and speeds, Tormach pcnc 1100 series 3

GoldHand

Plastic
Hi guys, this is my first forum post, so thanks in advance for welcoming me to your community.

This is my first time operating a CNC mill, but I have some experience with CNC routers. I have to make a smallish production run of about 250 parts. The part is 2" x .75" x .75". I am looking at 45 degree helix endmills that are designed for aluminum, but it seems like my machine just doesn't have the feedrate or RPM to keep the tool manufacturer happy.

some specs:
Spindle RPM range 100-5140 (low belt 100-2000 hi belt 250-5140)
X Y max feedrates 110 inches per minute

operations:
I need to face off .25
Mill a rounded contour (slotting?)
Drill a hole (not really any questions here)

Does anyone have any tips for making my part any faster, or am I stuck with the limitations of my machine? If i run the cut at a higher feedrate will it just overheat the tool? Should I be looking at tools with conventional flute helix angles?

I know these are probably insanely novice questions but I just want to know if I am not looking in the right direction for answers.

Welcome. Theres a channel on youtube NYC CNC that covers a pile of stuff on the Tormach machines, and whole lot more. Well worth a look if ya havnee already.

Thanks, I am subscribed to them, but I will go back through and find the Tormach videos.

Back