What's new
What's new

[video] My new CNC/hand-work knifemaking process

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys!
I've been working on this video for a really long time (over a year!) while focusing on catching up on customer orders. Super pleased to be able to finally share it with you as everyone here has had a huge role in getting me to this stage!

I've been working on this process for the last 4 years, trying to mix the consistency and speed of CNC with final hand finishing and I think overall it's working out really well!

Since this video was shot I've actually moved all my machining to post-heat-treat (hard-milling) and running the VMC fully unattended which has gone really well actually! Cycle time is now around 7 hours, but running unattended the impact of the extra time is minimal, and it lets me get much better surface finishes, which shortens the hand-finishing process quite a lot!

Specs on the blade shown in the video:

Overall length: 9"
Blade length: 4.5"
Handle material: Black G10/FR4 with Blaze Orange liners
Blade material: A2 tool steel @ 63 HRC w/ DLC coating

High-res photos of the finished knife (click for bigger):

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for all your help over the last few years! I've really learnt a lot here and it's allowed me to get to a state that I'm really proud of!

Hope you guys all have a great christmas! Let me know if you have any questions or feedback, would love to hear it all!

-Aaron

Awesome video! You have your efficiency of process dialed.
Everything is so clean, I feel the need to head out to the shop and start scrubbing!

Aaron,

A beautiful product in a super looking shop with some very nice custom fixtures and machines. The video was very professional..thank you for sharing it.

Stuart

That's one hell of an operation you've got going there Aaron! Looks to be a fine quality knife also.

Brent

Aaron, this makes me want to buy one of your knives based simply on passion and craftsmanship alone. You are a true master.
Many kudos to you, and your bottomless efforts.

Aaron, great video. Your shop and all fixtures for non-machining operations were super clean, really a great process.

Do you mind sharing some info about your final honing process with the wood embedded CBN wheel? Can you buy wheels with cbn pre-embedded or do you apply some sort of lapping slurry periodically?

There had to be considerable effort just to edit the video. It is a first rate production and you can be proud of the result. I've often said that you learn something new every day. I have a similar arbor press that you've used towards the end of the video and plan to add the spring return system that you used here on your press.

Excellent work and craftsmanship. You gave me some ideas on the kydex press, did you build the press?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your organization! Very good.
As far machining concerns, well, it could be a lot faster, but if you do not have high quantities to fabricate, its ok.

Thanks very much guys!! Sorry for the slow response, I got on a plane to Australia right after posting so didn't have internet for a while there!

I really appreciate all the support everyone here has given me while working to get to this stage, couldn't have done it without you guys!

Beautiful Work! Great video and narration I might add too!

Thanks mate! Glad to hear you kind the narration! I usually do subtitles but a friend suggested that the narration would be an improvement so I went ahead and tried it... Only the second time I've narrated a video rather than subtitling!

Aaron, this makes me want to buy one of your knives based simply on passion and craftsmanship alone. You are a true master.
Many kudos to you, and your bottomless efforts.

Thanks very much wheelie! I love being able to share this video with you guys because I know you can see every minute of effort that has gone into everything...

Back