What's new
What's new

VMC with 8000 RPM Spindle for Machining Aluminum??

Shooter7

Aluminum
I have patiently been waiting for / looking for the right used VMC to be used for protoyping in Aluminum (Mold and Pattern work actually). I found an Okuma MC-v4020, but it has an 8000 RPM Spindle. I was really set on a 12000 or 15000 RPM Spindle. With the bulk of my work being aluminum molds, is it even worth considering 8000 RPM?

I do plan on using a coolant driven high speed spindle (Colibir / SpinJet / Etc...) for finishing (40,000 RPM...1/32" to 3/32" tools ). With a 40K spindle, perhaps semi-roughing using a 3/32 tool would be a viable intermediate step.

You're prototyping not production so I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are using minuscule tools. You could spend all day waiting around for the perfect machine or you could get out there and start making chips. 8k and 100-120ipm all day wouldn't concern me.

I'd be more concerned about having super/hi-cut.

I have a 12k spindle and it is not enough to use the small tools. :( I mean, I am doing it, but I am running my .05" endmill at 155sfm, in aluminum. If it is not production I wouldn't worry about it though...

I do use a small mill that only has 3500ish rpm. I cut aluminum with that, you just have to go slower. :dopeslap:

I have patiently been waiting for / looking for the right used VMC to be used for protoyping in Aluminum (Mold and Pattern work actually). I found an Okuma MC-v4020, but it has an 8000 RPM Spindle. I was really set on a 12000 or 15000 RPM Spindle. With the bulk of my work being aluminum molds, is it even worth considering 8000 RPM?

I do plan on using a coolant driven high speed spindle (Colibir / SpinJet / Etc...) for finishing (40,000 RPM...1/32" to 3/32" tools ). With a 40K spindle, perhaps semi-roughing using a 3/32 tool would be a viable intermediate step.

Unless that machine is really cheap I would be careful. It is not an Okuma product but labeled Okuma for the North America market by Okuma America. It was built by ZPS in the Czech Republic. Parts might become an issue as the partnership with ZPS ended about a decade ago.

Following...

I have a 4200 RPM spindle and when it's not noisy, I run everything I have at full speed in aluminum. Surface finish is okay but not mold quality. Sufficient for your roughing probably. 8000 RPM is twice as good.

There seems to be a lot more 4020 machines with 8000 RPM spindles for people like you and me who probably have tighter budgets. Haas, Fadal, Cincinnati, Mazak, Supermax, and everyone else who makes a larger machine has an 8000 RPM standard from what it seems. I may end up with an 8k spindle before it's all said and done.

Unless that machine is really cheap I would be careful. It is not an Okuma product but labeled Okuma for the North America market by Okuma America. It was built by ZPS in the Czech Republic. Parts might become an issue as the partnership with ZPS ended about a decade ago.

I have a 2005 Okuma MCV4020. It's been a great machine. Parts are still available through Okuma for it. It was made in the Czech Republic, but who cares. Unless you need a casting or something rarely replaced you will be fine.

Mine is relatively low hours and in perfect shape and trade in value is somewhere in the 30's, so yes you should be getting it cheap. Btw stay away from the P100 controls. Mine has the E100 control, last control before the Windows PC was introduced. The P100 controls were somewhat problematic and were replaced soon after with the P200 control.

I have a 2005 Okuma MCV4020. It's been a great machine. Parts are still available through Okuma for it. It was made in the Czech Republic, but who cares. Unless you need a casting or something rarely replaced you will be fine.

Mine is relatively low hours and in perfect shape and trade in value is somewhere in the 30's, so yes you should be getting it cheap. Btw stay away from the P100 controls. Mine has the E100 control, last control before the Windows PC was introduced. The P100 controls were somewhat problematic and were replaced soon after with the P200 control.

I didn't say it was not a nice machine and because of OSP the control parts should be readily available but I would not invest in one especially in the over $20k range. it is the small mechanical parts that seem to bite folks in the ass.

I didn't say it was not a nice machine and because of OSP the control parts should be readily available but I would not invest in one especially in the over $20k range. it is the small mechanical parts that seem to bite folks in the ass.

I have heard nothing but praise for MC-V4020s across the board. Can you offer some specifics? Also, I have NEVER seen a used one even close to $20K. The cheapest I have seen is $35K, and it was a beat down mess. I have heard of people running them nonstop for 13 years...and they still hold .0005". For a used machine, I concluded they were one of the best bets based on feedback. Maybe I dont have all the facts....

I have heard nothing but praise for MC-V4020s across the board. Can you offer some specifics? Also, I have NEVER seen a used one even close to $20K. The cheapest I have seen is $35K, and it was a beat down mess. I have heard of people running them nonstop for 13 years...and they still hold .0005". For a used machine, I concluded they were one of the best bets based on feedback. Maybe I dont have all the facts....

I had a great many customers in my Okuma days buy them. If it fits what you are looking for than go for it. As I stated, the partnership with ZPS has been over for about ten years. Okuma did build the machine in China for that market at the same time and probably for a while later. So maybe I am concerned for no reason.

We have a V4020 as well with the 15k spindle and TSC, parts wise the biggest piss off for me is the $600 thru-pin that wears out every 10k tool changes, the rotary coupling was another item quoted through our local dealer at $1800 but which the coupling OEM offered for $600. I'm not sure if those prices are in line with other MTBs or even other Okumas

So far those have been the only mechanicals to wear out in ours in the last 10 years or so.

I had a great many customers in my Okuma days buy them. If it fits what you are looking for than go for it. As I stated, the partnership with ZPS has been over for about ten years. Okuma did build the machine in China for that market at the same time and probably for a while later. So maybe I am concerned for no reason.

The Machine I am looking at is a 2008... They made the MC-V4020 through 2009.

We have a V4020 as well with the 15k spindle and TSC, parts wise the biggest piss off for me is the $600 thru-pin that wears out every 10k tool changes, the rotary coupling was another item quoted through our local dealer at $1800 but which the coupling OEM offered for $600.

So far those have been the only mechanicals to wear out in ours in the last 10 years or so.

Based on your experience how do you think it will perform for 3 and 4 Axis mold work in Aluminum? I am dealing with molds for wax (investment cast) and the parting surfaces will be complicated for some parts. Think mating 3 axis surfaces. The better the overall x,y,z true position accuracy, the less hand fitting (scraping surfaces in) will have to be done.

I am planning on adding a 4th axis...just like this set up...

Tsudakoma RNA on Okuma VMC - YouTube

Based on your experience how do you think it will perform for 3 and 4 Axis mold work in Aluminum? I am dealing with molds for wax (investment cast) and the parting surfaces will be complicated for some parts. Think mating 3 axis surfaces. The better the overall x,y,z true position accuracy, the less hand fitting (scraping surfaces in) will have to be done.

I am planning on adding a 4th axis...just like this set up...

Tsudakoma RNA on Okuma VMC - YouTube

I have absolutely no problems with the quality of the parts the machine produces, it was always presented to me as a mold making machine (not sure if that's true) so it's an area I'd expect it to excel in.

My experience has been that it's a rigid, accurate machine that is comfortable in every material we've thrown at. My absolute biggest gripes with the machine aside from the mechanical wear items are the table is too low for my liking, the y axis head frequently blocks a view of the action (the best view is by the tool changer...) and the door interlock is annoying without just unmounting the key. We would definitely buy another one.

Edit:

Not sure exactly what inout you'd like me to give, the moulds are only as good programmer and the operator, there are no issues that can be attributed to the machine.

I have absolutely no problems with the quality of the parts the machine produces, it was always presented to me as a mold making machine (not sure if that's true) so it's an area I'd expect it to excel in.

My experience has been that it's a rigid, accurate machine that is comfortable in every material we've thrown at. My absolute biggest gripes with the machine aside from the mechanical wear items are the table is too low for my liking, the y axis head frequently blocks a view of the action (the best view is by the tool changer...) and the door interlock is annoying without just unmounting the key. We would definitely buy another one.

Thanks for the input...

It is not an Okuma product but labeled Okuma for the North America market by Okuma America. It was built by ZPS in the Czech Republic. Parts might become an issue as the partnership with ZPS ended about a decade ago.

Interesting, I didn't know that.
Our MC V4020 is a 2006. Although it can't machine a round hole anymore it's still a good machine, we now just use it for jobs that aren't needing to hold .0005"

Back