What's new
What's new

VMC vise clamping

VSMI

Hot Rolled
I've got some vises that use this type of toe clamp to hold them down:

111314164905.jpg

What do you guys do to prevent marring up the table with them?

Attachments

• 111314164905.jpg
    111314164905.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 612
I actually just bought some like that. Want to make sure the clamping surface on the vise is parallel to the table. If not, add a piece of shimstock under it as Charlie mentioned.

Are they actually F'n up the table, as in denting it? or are they leaving a stain that you don't like?

If they are F'n up the table...

Get rid of the cheater bar...

Get a harder table.

Make sure the part of the clamp that touches the table isn't all wonky, deburr the edges nicely and all that... You
really don't need a sharp edge digging into the table.

They look like they are some kind of cast something... Make some out of some A36 or 1018, I use similar clamps
made out of garbage steel all the time and I've never had a problem.

Shims work also.

since we are talking about this I have some 15/40 chicks vises and either I have to use that type of clamp [4] of them or just use 2 of the 4 holes through the vise base. The other 2 holes in the base don't line with the table slots. I don't think just 2 bolts is going to be enough, you guys thoughts?

Bolt the vise down to the table with two bolts. Put an indicator on it. Tap it about with a plastic mallet. It's surprising how easily it moves with just two bolts. 4 bolts is a bunch better, also stiffens the vise body from flopping about.

Thanks that's what I thought so that leaves me with 2 bolts and 2 clamps that should do it then. I have 4 bolts in my kurts right now and never had a problem.

Bolt the vise down to the table with two bolts. Put an indicator on it. Tap it about with a plastic mallet. It's surprising how easily it moves with just two bolts. 4 bolts is a bunch better, also stiffens the vise body from flopping about.

Want to make sure the clamping surface on the vise is parallel to the table. If not, add a piece of shimstock under it as Charlie mentioned.

There in lies the problem. If the clamps aren't perfectly matched to the slots in the vise (height-wise), if you crank down on them at all you are pulling an edge into the table and will get a ding. I thought about shim stock but wasn't sure that would help much - I don't think you can use anything with any significant thickness and have them work well. I can make clamps that perfectly match the grooves in the vises (which aren't identical) but what a pain in the ass. The way the vise casting is I can't drill through and pick up T-slots in the table. These came with Glacern double-vises, which BTW, may be for sale if anyone is interested.

Are they actually F'n up the table, as in denting it? or are they leaving a stain that you don't like?

If they are F'n up the table...

Get rid of the cheater bar...

Get a harder table.

Make sure the part of the clamp that touches the table isn't all wonky, deburr the edges nicely and all that... You
really don't need a sharp edge digging into the table.

They look like they are some kind of cast something... Make some out of some A36 or 1018, I use similar clamps
made out of garbage steel all the time and I've never had a problem.

Shims work also.

I don't think "get a harder table" is really an option for a purchased & installed machine... LoL.... But seriously, my UMC-750 has a table like butter! :bawling: That damn thing dings up if I look at it hard! :angry:

I made clamps for my kurt vises like that. I made them short by .125 and put a .125 aluminum shim made of scrap under them. I only did that on the outboard vise clamps. I made the clamps between the vises span both vises.

Gives new meaning to "Leaving money on the table..."

Tax-Deductible business expense maybe? :confused: :D

While we're on the subject, I had to shims some parts in an HMC fixture one time, and two dimes made the perfect shim thickness needed. So we ran the parts, and during the cycle they got cut in half by the face-mill that ran. The operator was nice enough to offer two nickles in exchange for each of the half-dimes lost. :) I just filled out an expense report and got a check from the company next week.*

*Would be much funnier if the last sentence was true...

Curious why they may be for sale soon?? I was planning on picking a few up I December when glacern does their big discounts.

Issues? Problems?

I have 2 of their CNC 6 inchers and also plan on picking up a few matched height reverse jaw to fit more parts per set up alternating reg and reverse so my 8" parts overlap.

Back