What's new
What's new

Want to add a second set of cycle start/feed hold buttons, splice in parallel?

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1,894
G

My lathe has 2 sets of cycle start and feed hold buttons, one on each side of the door. First pic.

My new mill has only one set of buttons, and they are in a spot I don't like, way over by the e-stop. Plus they are the cheapo plastic taiwan variety button which I hate.

I want to add a second pair of nice round stainless frame buttons on the lower left of the control, just below the panel. Second pic. I want to put them just below the mode switch so I don't have to look at the damn control every time I need to hit the start button.

Question is- do I need something to isolate the pairs, or can I just splice the new buttons in parallel? I think they are NO, will the open circuit on the other button prevent the circuit from closing if they are wired parallel? I don't want to disable the buttons on the panel- just want to add another set in a more convenient spot.

lathe control.jpgmill control.jpg

Cycle Start is almost always a NO contact so a parallel set of NO contacts will work. Feed hold is almost always (on Fanuc, Yasnac, Mitsu anyways) an NC contact so you would need another set of NC contacts in series for that circuit.

Cycle Start is almost always a NO contact so a parallel set of NO contacts will work. Feed hold is almost always (on Fanuc, Yasnac, Mitsu anyways) an NC contact so you would need another set of NC contacts in series for that circuit.
Thanks Kevin. I will stick the ohmmeter on the switches before I order the add-ons, I just wasn't sure which way to hook them up. It makes sense they would be the way you describe it.

It's a Fanuc Oi-TC, 2007 era.

Sorry no help here and please pardon this off topic comment but the slide layout on that machine is one I've never seen before. Looks like a gang tool machine with a rotating turret mounted to it. Am I seeing it wrong or is there a table for gang tools on there also? Anyway I like it. I'll shut up now. Lol...

Brent

Sorry no help here and please pardon this off topic comment but the slide layout on that machine is one I've never seen before. Looks like a gang tool machine with a rotating turret mounted to it. Am I seeing it wrong or is there a table for gang tools on there also? Anyway I like it. I'll shut up now. Lol...

Brent

Might werk swell for long spade drills and the like eh?

The coolant hoses look nigh werthless tho?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Might werk swell for long spade drills and the like eh?

The coolant hoses look nigh werthless tho?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

After another look those blocks look a ton too low of center? I must have it all wrong? No coolant lines? Yeah missed that one too. Lol..

Brent

After another look those blocks look a ton too low of center? I must have it all wrong? No coolant lines? Yeah missed that one too. Lol..

Brent

Pretty sure that is just how the pic looks. I'm sure those are usable tool positions. Yang used to make a machine that could be similarly configured, half gang tooled and a turret.

Yeah, it's a little chucker. 6K spindle, 6" Kiti or 16C collets, 8 in the turret and 3 on the slide. I use the slide for drilling and tapping, larger boring bars and single pointing ID's. Its a lot faster than indexing the turret. The tools in the turret are set and never change.

There's a parts catcher that extends out between the slide and the turret, and a bar loader on the other end. No tailstock.

It has the normal coolant in the turret, and that manifold with 3 loc-line hoses. One of these days I'm going to take one of the ports on the manifold and run a hose around to the backside of the slide so I can use it for coolant thru drills. It hasn't been high on the list because I don't run big drills, but it would get rid of the pecking...

That first pic has the coolant hose tucked aside- the long one swings out to flood the end of the part when drilling, and the short one floods the partoff tool. There is one unused port on the manifold.

The gang tools are on centerline, lol. It just looks funny cuz it's a slant bed and the X axis is not in position.

It's been a good lathe- set it up and listen to it drop parts in the bucket all day long. :)

lathe.jpg

Back