What's new
What's new

Wash down nozzle - what is a good one?

swarf_rat

Titanium
My VMC came with a wash down nozzle that was cut off the hose by the P.O. and left in the cabinet. In its place is a cheap Home Depot garden hose sprayer. It works OK I guess, but I am wondering what people use or what is supposed to be used for this. The one that was removed looks more like an air gun and doesn't seem to have any spray pattern adjustment, might be why they removed it or maybe it just went bad.

Who has the best nozzle?

I have been using a $5.00 HomeDepot garden sprayer on our CNC for 8 years now.Works as good as any at washing out chips in hard to reach areas and tracks assholes that turn off my fan as they walk by for a good 20' or so :)

I just assumed there would be some purpose built nozzles for this, but I guess not. A search hasn't turned up any, nor has this thread. Back to Home Depot!

Hell, if I have very many chips to move I just take the sprayer off and use an open hose. It seems like the lower pressure high volume mass of coolant does a better job of moving chips than blasting it, and an open hose makes less splatter.

But do you like the way they work? Those seem to be the ones McMaster has....

I don't have a great volume of chips, chip wash system takes care of that. It's for chasing the last ones down the drain...

The nozzle is bomb-proof and works well. I liked the ones we had on the machines. Don't know where they purchased from. I'd bet you'll replace your machines sooner than this nozzle.

Oh, I suspect Spraying Systems has a purpose-built unit...

Spray nozzles, spray control, spray analysis and spray fabrication from the experts in spray technology, Spraying Systems Co.

http://www.spray.com/spray_nozzles/spray_guns.aspx

spray_guns_main.jpg

If you want to have fun, insist on no safety, cause "My Glock doesn't have a safety".
You will probably be put on hold, then on speakerphone.

The nozzle is bomb-proof and works well. I liked the ones we had on the machines. Don't know where they purchased from. I'd bet you'll replace your machines sooner than this nozzle.

I notice you can buy either the bronze or SS unit, and there is a service kit available to rebuild it. About $64 from McMaster for the bronze one, but seems like it is built to last.

Oh, I suspect Spraying Systems has a purpose-built unit...

Spray nozzles, spray control, spray analysis and spray fabrication from the experts in spray technology, Spraying Systems Co.

If you want to have fun, insist on no safety, cause "My Glock doesn't have a safety".
You will probably be put on hold, then on speakerphone.

One of the first things they say in their literature is "never point a spray gun at yourself or another person". The instructions with a Glock don't say that.....

Personally I never point a spray gun at any person I don't expect to get wet...

Do you have a farm/dairy supply store in the area?
They might have a heavy duty spray nozzle for agricultural use.
That is what I found at the local Farm/Fleet store.

Back