What's new
What's new

Way cover wipers/seals for Haas VMC

viper

Titanium
I posted in the Haas forum but thought someone here might have an idea. We are looking to replace the way cover wipers on our old VF1. We have bought seals from Haas before and they just send a roll for 100 bucks. We have 8 Haas machines in another shop and that will get expensive so looking for a cheaper alternative. Who makes the stuff? I have looked in all the popular books with no luck.

I checked their site and emailed about seals. Looks for like they just make the complete systems though. Thanks for the reply

2020 vf4

The newer VF-4's seem to be different from before. Gortite/Dynatect don't have them or aren't selling them directly.
The picture below is the profile of the strip. Part number for rear y is 93-2866 and costs $145 for just the one strip piece. Haas also recommends changing once a year, all the wipers together are like $1500.... Plus install is a pain, takes about 2 hours. The main reason it's a pain is because you have to reseal the gaskets, so with drying time it's 24 hours. That mega sucks ma dudes. Can someone explain to me why waycovers like this aren't designed to have wipers slid in from the side so you don't have to take the full thing off? Seems like an easy enough thing to design for...

image001.jpg

Furthermore, haas is shipping the covers with some kind of galvanizing on it. 585xt coolant seems to make it rough. Looks like I'm going to have to polish it off. The waycover whipers aren't very abrasion resistant, they aren't a solid plastic material, kind of fuzzy. hard to explain; but they haven't held up very well (for $145 a pop), and I think Haas isn't doing a very good job on their waycovers. I also think they might have known about this and changed it. My 2021 EC-400 has no galvanizing, just polished steel.

Wondering if I can try and 3d print the strips with one of those 45degree printers that can do long parts. Using ninja flex, which is very abrasion resistant in my experience and flexible, I bet I can make them for like $10. May or may not try, time is money and I do like finding things to be mad at haas over :gossip:

PS, haas if you'd like to contract me to design a better waycover for you, slide into my dm's. Let's make a better machine together :cheers:

Back