What's new
What's new

Seeking paper tape punch/reader

emooreatx

Plastic
Hello, I recently completed restoring a computer from the 60s which you can see here:

YouTube

I am in desperate need of a reliable way to read and punch paper tape. Does anyone have an old punch around the shop, or even better a combo reader/punch, they would be willing to sell?

Thank you!

-Eric

Hello, I recently completed restoring a computer from the 60s which you can see here:

YouTube

I am in desperate need of a reliable way to read and punch paper tape. Does anyone have an old punch around the shop, or even better a combo reader/punch, they would be willing to sell?

Thank you!

-Eric

Wha........

Say that again.
Yes I doo.

Will look over the weekend for the unit name/model and dig up book that goes with it.

The original Friden Flexowriter would be cool.

BTDTGTS, also TTY from 15 thru 28, 33, 37 ... ASR/KSR..

That era Baudot 5-bit, FIELDATA 6 Bit, two forms of IBM 8-bit, and still-new 7-level ASCII all coexisted.

Painfully. Very! I could not watch the video!

That said.. not sure the one in front of his nose is not also a punch?

Dig out the "Tally" line.. "Tally Register" before Mannesmann bought control.

That is definitely a reader only, I had to repair it and have the manual.

Yeah a lot of people assume I mean baudot surprisingly. I need 1" 8 bit, which I think is what most CNC machines used.

That is definitely a reader only, I had to repair it and have the manual.

Yeah a lot of people assume I mean baudot surprisingly. I need 1" 8 bit, which I think is what most CNC machines used.

The stuff is out there, but anything mechancal has to mechanically FUNCTION, too. As the machine doesn't CARE if the data comes off tape or not?

Simple parallel or serial port, and you can load and dump to/from most anything, really.

See if you can find a draughtsman's hand held electric eraser. We DIY'ed spools for those until the maker picked-up the need and added spools to the product line.

Much handier for rewinding tape. As you tilt it in use, all you need is a spindle and a disk at ONE SIDE, not two.

That said.. not sure the one in front of his nose is not also a punch?

Dig out the "Tally" line.. "Tally Register" before Mannesmann bought control.

I can say 100% that is a parallel output reader operating at 10V in the video as I had to repair it. I do have an ASR33 that came with the computer but it is broken and even when repaired not recommended for heavy use.

Yeah there are a lot of standards, but I understand that most CNC machines use 8 bit 1" tape which is what I need.

Much handier for rewinding tape. As you tilt it in use, all you need is a spindle and a disk at ONE SIDE, not two.

That is a great idea! Sorry I was adding a new reply using a quote when you replied so now it appears I replied twice.

I am working on a way to directly write to the bus bypassing the reader, but it is more for developing new programs. This is a computer originally released in 1967 so it uses very different voltage levels than anything available today.

I can say 100% that is a parallel output reader operating at 10V in the video as I had to repair it. I do have an ASR33 that came with the computer but it is broken and even when repaired not recommended for heavy use.

Yeah there are a lot of standards, but I understand that most CNC machines use 8 bit 1" tape which is what I need.

You've been misinformed. "NC" machines, the paper-tape days. "CNC" overtook those before there were all that many built.

If the "bones" were worth it, they got upgrades ages ago. Then worn-out. Then scrapped.

I don't THINK I even still have an 8" FDD in the attic. 5 1/4" FDD in a prototptype S-100 rig smaller than an IBM PC-1 maybe as the oldest. And only.

Not much point in saving dead 'puters, fast as the technology moved.

I have an ASR 33 teletype setup with an RS232 input if you are interested. It was serviced and stored way back when. Its heavy but has the stand with it. Could pop it in a wood box and Fastenal it when they reopen their shipping service or? I'm in California. Those things are built like a brick shithouse, so the heavy use thing seems odd.

I have an ASR 33 teletype setup with an RS232 input if you are interested. It was serviced and stored way back when. Its heavy but has the stand with it. Could pop it in a wood box and Fastenal it when they reopen their shipping service or? I'm in California. Those things are built like a brick shithouse, so the heavy use thing seems odd.

I just found and purchased a FANUC PPR I am hoping works out. If you are looking for a good home for the ASR33 I would love to have a working machine. I was led to believe the 33 is finicky compared to say the model 28. Does anyone have experience with the FANUC PPR A13B-0117-B001? That is what I bought and I am hoping it speaks RS232.

Model 37's were built like BSH. Or at least WEIGHED as if they had been. As were the slow but durable 15's and 28's.

"Before" the RS family of connector specs, as used for RDS and RDM "couplers" (pre Carterphone era), signaling was nominal 130 VDC @ 60 ma polar or 20 ma "bipolar", the TWX & Teletype TTY backbone signaling.

RO/KSR/ASR 33's were light-duty as well as light weight. For their era, anyway.

Mostly we wore them out when they were our only printers for software devel, though.

Elastomer pop-on hammer pad would split, fall off, hammer would start beating the characters on the drum to Aluminium alloy mush. "Oh S**T" moment when yer printouts went progessively blurry.

:(

Trick was to cut short lengths of braid-in fuel line hose that slipped over the end of the hammer, rotate it when the braid started to show. Must have been a hundred times as long-lasting as the OEM cap. End of problem.

Keeping the rest of it in good order wasn't all that bad.

Last edited:
I think this is really cool!

As a kid, I remember my dad bringing home old tapes and I would play with them. I never worked with tape, but I sure do remember the IBM punch cards from college! The good old days.........

We used to use one of those at a recording studio I worked at, to make labels for radio commercial 'dubs'. Type it out, without making mistakes, then cut the paper tape, and loop it back to itself and glue it with Elmer's. Once the glue dried, thread it back up and press go, and stand back. It would type on fan-fold/roll stick-on labels until the labels ran out. Loud as all get out, but that's why it was in the back room...

This thread reminded me when I used to run an AGIE WEDM that was built for paper tape input. It was adapted to a hokey 3.5" disc input that often failed. Hot job, failed disc reader...call my brother working at another shop that had an old tape puncher. Can't remember if I gave him transfer protocols, but I do remember there is no chance that this will work. Fed that tape in...and it took it all from header to end... what a good feeling that was.

Back