What's new
What's new

Waylube: Vactra 2 versus Mobil 1 10w30

BROTHERFRANK

Stainless
A client of mine told me Haas said to replace the Waylube on all of his Haas machines with Mobil 1 10w30 instead of Vactra 2. Any opinions or insights on this? Thanks, Frank.

Story I was told-

Lots of mid to late 80's machines used way lube other than Vactra 2. In the early 80's Vactra changed their formulation and didn't really tell anyone. It worked just like the old stuff, but if you mixed the new with the old it would clog up the lube lines. Lots of machines needed turcite and way repair a couple years after that. For that reason some MTB's switched to something else for awhile. My '90 MV-65 Mori uses a ton of way lube and has an elaborate way lube catch system. It uses 68 hydraulic oil in the reservoir. It sure doesn't clog up.

Seems like machines that use non-way specific oil for way lube require a much higher flow rate or frequency compared to machines using Vactra.

My '90 MV-65 Mori uses a ton of way lube and has an elaborate way lube catch system. It uses 68 hydraulic oil in the reservoir. It sure doesn't clog up.

My SL-20 also has a drip collection system for the way lube. It comes out so clear that I'm sure I could filter it and reuse it.

Some time ago Mobil removed tackifiers from Vactra, but I believe they have been re-added since. They make the oil stick better to the metal. So, I think vactra is the stuff to use. When in doubt, contact the mfg.

regards,

Jon P.

Haas recommends Mobil 10-50 if vactra 2 is not available...kinda like o shit I'm about to trip the alarm, I have 5 pieces left and the customer is paying extra fom me to have it done in the early am...type deal

Haas recommends Mobil 10-50 if vactra 2 is not available...kinda like o shit I'm about to trip the alarm, I have 5 pieces left and the customer is paying extra fom me to have it done in the early am...type deal

20-50 is easy enough to get, I have never seen 10-50. I heard about a machine shop that used the drain oil from the truck shop next door, hey it was free, why not?

Vactra 2 ?hmmm I hate this stuff, ever looked at the bottom or cleaned your lube pump reservoir? All that shit is in your lines and going on ways too.
I dropped it 5 years ago and replaced it with Connoco TCS 68 way lube, Shell Tonna 68 is very good too.

There was a thread about this in general in the past week or so.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/haas-using-chain-bar-oil-332014/

It will make your eyes bleed to read all that.

He wasn't able to extract a URL for where that came off the Haas web site. Hopefully this works. Try it despite the page not found. Works for me.

Page not found | Customer Resource Center

Personally I think some one from Mobil has hacked or paid off Haas Tech. It doesn't even mention Vactra or Vaculine as a slide lube.

I'd note that the recommendation for SHC625 / Substitute Mobil 1 5W-20 were for post 1988 machines with the Bijur oiling system. SHC625 works for ball rail systems. It would be a poor substitute for a real slideway oil on box rail systems. Are there many of them left in the Haas world?

Regards Phil.

Synthetic motor oils in general are good stuff, way better than regular motor oil - as far as viscosity stability, film strength, and extended life are concerned.

Motor oils are designed for a HOT environment, with all kinds of blow-by gases and various crud to deal with, and with a detergent action to clean and release sludge from the inside of a motor.

Just not sure how oils designed for that type of use would work in a CNC machine's lube system?

Who would take the CHANCE??!!

ToolCat Greg

Worked it out. Mobil 1 are a major sponsor of Stewart Haas racing.

Quid pro quo Clarise. ;) Your now expected to abandon all your tried and true industrial lubricants. And replace them with auto oils you can get at Napa.

http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/stewart-haas-racing.aspx

Regards Phil.

Ahh! Now it is starting to make sense! Our client was wondering if he should switch his non-Haas machines to Mobil 1. I will have to say no. Thank you everyone!

Let's play devils advocate for a minute...what if it's as good or better than vactra 2? Certainly there's no technical data to back up yay or nay though so many people are saying it's a horrible substitute...how do we really know? Quick research shows iso viscosity grade to be very similar to 20 weight motor oil and vactra 2. Granted it is the lifeblood of an expensive machine, but motor oil is designed for a fairly severe service too. Of course moisture retention and pressure flow are of some concern with motor oil, there's always non limited slip gear oil...

Of course, the best way to prevent the need for this conversation is to always have some vactra 2 in the closet :)

detergent motor oil suspends solids so they can get removed in the filter. Non detergent lets it drop to the bottom so it doesn't keep running through ball bearings

If Haas says its ok, well, ok, but I will not be changing anytime soon

Vactra is not without its issues. I cleaned out my way lube tank a few months ago after 16 years of Vactra #2. Quite a bit of dark brown goo deposits and jelly in the tank and filter. I can't but suspect this is what plugs up the metering units. I also suspect this is what glued the way lube pump in the down position on a Fadal I worked on. The additives can also work as "stickifiers".

As for Mobile1 10-30 that or compressor oil is suggested for my compressor pump. Compressor oil looks dirty in the sight glass within a month, Mobile1 is still clear up to 9 months later. It is not that is doesn't suspend the dirt, it just doesn't seem to be there even when I drain it.

.....The additives can also work as "stickifiers".

The additives that make way lubes "sticky" are one of the main benefits designed into the lube. They help prevent coolant from "washing" the oil off the way surface. Some machines that don't get much if any coolant on the ways maybe don't benefit much from that. Most machines do get significant coolant on the ways so I can't help but think a motor oil would not be as good a choice as a product compounded to withstand washing off.

The best way oil I have used was a synthetic I was getting around 15 years ago. Western was supplying it. After running it in the box way lathe the lube tubbing went from dull brown to a bright translucent white, they looked brand new. The way it cleaned the gunk from the years of Vactra #2 was amazing. I heard after I left the place that it was later discontinued because of base oil supply issues, too bad.

You do have to ask if there are not better way lubes out there? Do we have to put up with the modifiers migrating out of the oil and causing problems? Yeah I am drffting off topic some since I don't really suspect Mobile1 being any kind of a replacement. My only excuse is the 22oz Doulble IPA I just had, mmmmm :cheers:

Back