What's new
What's new

What is this?

EnderDRM

Aluminum
Does anyone know what this is? I found a bunch in a drawer. They look like cams for an old automatic to me.20170928_093532.jpg

Yes. If you give some dimensions (like the bore diameter and min/max lobe heights from center), someone might even be able to identify which old automatic.

Although, probably not in the CNC sub-forum. Try the General sub-forum, or perhaps Antique Machinery and History.

cam1.jpgcam2.jpgcam3.jpg

How long did it take to make up a set of cams, and to set up a machine, compared to setting up the same job on a CNC lathe?

View attachment 209030View attachment 209031View attachment 209032

How long did it take to make up a set of cams, and to set up a machine, compared to setting up the same job on a CNC lathe?
Making the cams could take a while. Setup wasn't bad, especially for repeat jobs. We didn't have any CNC lathes when I ran these. Cams could often be used for more than one job. If these things are maintained properly, they run for a loooong time without issue. In the 1970's I was running a small 00 size machine that had been made in the 1920's or before. We rebuilt a OG that had been used and abused in WW2. Both these machines were still running when the shop was closed in the 1990's. The #2 from the 1960's was the Cadillac of the bunch. We also had an Acme Gridley 4 spindle from around WW1, and it was run nearly every day. Made a lot of parts on those machines.

Thanks guys(except for Doug).
That's what I thought. Unfortunately, they are probably going to the scrap hopper unless someone wants them.

Don’t be too.hard on Doug, I was expecting this post to be locked before I found the book to photograph, marked “Locked due to meaningless title”

View attachment 209030View attachment 209031View attachment 209032

PMer ''Camscan'' is the man to ask, he's spent a life time running and tooling up Auto's until he retired a couple of years back, .....from what he's told me the ''clever bit'' is first working out how the part is going to be made then building the reliability of the process in to the cam design - high speed (too fast) indexing often being the cause of problems.

Damn! I think I am old when people talk about running cnc's without vericut/simulation... I can't imagine running a machine with 'cams' to make it work! You guys are 'ancient"!! LoL :D

Damn! I think I am old when people talk about running cnc's without vericut/simulation... I can't imagine running a machine with 'cams' to make it work! You guys are 'ancient"!! LoL :D

I remember when I was an apprentice we had a job that we farmed out to a cam auto shop. I used to go past every so often to pick up whatever was ready. The first time I went past I was amazed by the amount of oil all over the shop floor. You could not walk anywhere without stepping in oil puddles.That being said MAN those things are crazy fast when setup properly :eek: You could just see the small pins that they were making for us dropping off and filling up a bin. From what I remember to get it all setup we had to have a minimum order of 5000 at a time and a signed agreement that we would order every month over for the next 6months.

I went past once when the boss man had one of the machines open and was setting it up... that is the day that I realised that it was an art to setup those machines and it really was a lengthy process. Made a lot of sense why you needed to order minimum quantities. I suspect that once setup they just ran the whole order and put the rest into stock because of how quick it spat them out.

Don’t be too.hard on Doug, I was expecting this post to be locked before I found the book to photograph, marked “Locked due to meaningless title”

You're right, sorry Doug.
I just didn't know what to ask without really knowing what I was looking at.
Besides, it was enough to get you to look ;)

You're right, sorry Doug.
I just didn't know what to ask without really knowing what I was looking at.
Besides, it was enough to get you to look ;)
The reasoning behind having a "Good descriptive title" has
to do with archiving.

This forum has been around a long, long time and I don't know how vast the archives are, even after a couple of server crashes
(Don, insert answer here)

If a person comes here and uses the search function BEFORE
posting, they may well find the answer they seek.

But with the proliferation of "Thread closed to meaningless title"
The archive searching is fruitless.

And so then posters, (usually new posters) continue to ask the same questions, over and over.

Back