What's new
What's new

What CNC lathe to buy.

klaney93

Plastic
We have a small production machine shop and are looking to buy another cnc lathe. It needs to have conversational programming, a collet closer, and gang or turret tooling. This machine will be used as an automatic machine mostly used for 3/4" nylon parts. Hoping someone has purchased similar machines and can lead me in the best direction.

Earlier this year I purchases a Haas St20ssy with a barfeeder. I had a part I was machining out of 3/4 and originally was looking at the st10's. I am very glad I went with the 20, the 10 is very tight expessially for the amount of live tools I need to run. I did not get the tailstock which makes the lathe even tighter. I have had little trouble with the machine. Haas is still trying to catch up to the more prominent lathe manufacturers tho. Depends on your needs and budget.

Shoot, the CL-1 chucker lathe that Haas is coming out with looks pretty sweet for small, screw machine-type work...

I don't think you could go wrong with a Haas for a small turning job. ST-10, 15, or 20 would do well. I think the ST-10 might do you real well speed wise (6000 RPM vs. 4000 on the 15/20), but at that speed, it makes little difference...

Thanks everyone for your help. We ordered a Haas cl-1 in November and was supposed to get it in December but was pushed out to January and then to April and now today pushed out to at least May. We can no longer count on Haas to come through and get our machine any time soon. I am now looking again for a machine. Any help is appreciated. We will be doing mostly screw machine type work but would like to keep the price under $45k.

Thanks everyone for your help. We ordered a Haas cl-1 in November and was supposed to get it in December but was pushed out to January and then to April and now today pushed out to at least May. We can no longer count on Haas to come through and get our machine any time soon. I am now looking again for a machine. Any help is appreciated. We will be doing mostly screw machine type work but would like to keep the price under $45k.

That's bogus.
Did you cancel the order?

Since I am a HUGE fan of gang lathes, I strongly encourage you to look at the Haas CL very very carefully!!!

First, it has a pull-type mechanical closer.... cheap enough alright, but if you get any variation on your bar size ( nylon might be a good candidate here )
you will get all kinds of pushback.

Second, it comes standard with a built-in shower unit by way of that airplane door they've put on it.

Third ( though won't matter much for plastic parts ) the spindle is approximately half as long as a 50 year old Hardinge chucker has, probably half as rigid too.

Of course, I am a bit biased because I own a Haas MiniLathe. If they were available still, I'd get another one tomorrow morning.

For 45K you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel however, not sure what's out there in that range, Ganesh perhaps?

I'd think something from Hyundai-Wia would be worth a look if you haven't, they got many gangtool lathe options, and their smaller E series. I think most of their stuff is available with either siemens(828D?) or fanuc. I think even Doosan has a very most basic lynx 220a in the 50 range, or did anyway.
I'd put any of those ahead of that haas... but it is a bit more $, though waiting months and months ain't exactly cheap either eh.

Yama Seiki has a TB-32 listed on their site as 45K, but I think throwing a few dollars on a different model/brand should get you more bang for that buck, or just going used.

Gang tool lathes in the right hands are hard to beat, everyone seems to get hung up on the slower rapids of other machines but generally your only in rapid 1" or at the most 2" before back cutting. Proper planning of tools and tool positions using right and left hand tools cutting from both the X+ and X- side of the part without stopping and changing spindle direction is where these machine shine.

On small diameter work its has lower cycle times then on our fastest Mazak's.

Hey I was wondering if Haas ever delivered your lathe or if you ended up going a different route?

Back