What's new
What's new

What's this cutter? Used for OD turning, and possibly cams/polygon.

maxh

Hot Rolled
Below is a pic of the cutter from this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzwzO6z_TmY
At 0:17 it's used for OD turning (can't tell if it's spinning) and at 1:20 it or another that looks the same is used while spinning to turn a couple lobes/cams on the shaft. What is it?

Attachments

• lathe cutter.jpg
    lathe cutter.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 395
Aha, the description!
Don't feel bad about it. Thanks for bringing it up. Pretty cool, and one of those, why didn't I think of it things. I see they only patented it in 2006. Live tools have been pretty common for a couple of decades, round button carbide a bit before that. Put the two together. So obvious now. I think you should buy the Mori now. :D

Regards Phil.

After this rotating tool works they come in behind with a standard tool? What's so "Oh BOY" about the rotating tool in question? We know it can't make a sharp corner, which makes it less usefull than the standard tool, that followed.

After thought: If the cutting tool is rotating, it has to be running dead true to make a linear surface. The standard tool by definition is already true, because it only has one way to move.

What does this tool in question actually bring to the "table?"

Please...

Regards,

Stan-

After this rotating tool works they come in behind with a standard tool? What's so "Oh BOY" about the rotating tool in question? We know it can't make a sharp corner, which makes it less usefull than the standard tool, that followed.

Please...

Regards,

Stan-

At around 1:22 into the video it cut an elliptical shape at full speed on the end of the part rather than the typical end mill slow speed approach with polar interpolation. The reference I saw says that the "oscillating" cutter (through cutter spindle rotation) and the main spindle have to be synced properly to do this. That's what I see, anyway, and I reserve no judgement on the efficacy of that approach.

Cheers,
Rich

If they live up to the claims, it seems it could save a lot of "regular" inserts if used for roughing, hogging off most of the material before coming in with a sharp nose radius to finish. Supposedly good for really tough stuff like the nickel alloys. When used for roughing, a little runout wouldn't be the end of the world.

It also helps with chip control...especially in the nickel alloys. The grooving cutter towards the end of the video roughing the groove on the right spindle is rotating with the part rotating...then it stops so one of the inserts can finish the groove.
Sandvik started pushing this possibility of roughing on a lathe with a milling tool back in the early 2000s as multi-tasking lathes became more popular. The technical sections of their catalogs explained this technique back then.

Back