What's new
What's new

What steel is used to make cheap Chinese tool holders

ichudov

Hot Rolled
I would like to know what steel is usually used to make cheap imported Chinese toolholders, such as NMTB 30 or some such. Could it be 12L14 or it is something else?

I have a weird project where I would like to weld something to a cheap tool holder.

Thanks.

igor,

I'm guessing it would be very,very cheap steel. Probably anything thing can find that will melt in the pot. :willy_nilly:

On those cheaper grades of steel, it is sometimes necessary to use a high carbon type welding rod (such as Eutectic 680). This rod will weld together tool steels, unknown alloys, etc.
Whatever rod you use, use the procedure for welding heat-treated and/or tool steels.

Hope this helps.

JAckal:cheers:

I'm thinking maybe something like a 1060 steel, about as cheap as hardenable steel gets I think. Of course there are some higher quality chinese made tool holders, as to what they're all really made from who knows. I really doubt you'll have lead or sulfur in it though, so if careful should be weldable. If its hardened you know its got some carbon content, and 309SS rod is likely your best bet. Obviously if it flies apart, its your fun.

I don't know what they are made of but I sure would consider some type of bolt up/ screw together modification as opposed to welding.

I couldn't bring myself to weld on any type of toolholder regardless of where it was made or its quality.:(

Stuart

I truly believe that they melt absolutly anything they can get there hands on to make their "steel". I have seen a bolt head cast right into the plinth on a lathe that came from the mainland. As well as a few other odd shapes that had not fully melted when they poured it. If you are trying to decide what kind of welding rod to use. buy a few of the tool holders and experiment on them. tada bu sher kunan!

Judging from the random harness I've found I'd say, rebar, ball bearings, tin cans, rusty slag, anything metalic looking that can go into the furnace and melt. Try random testing the harness on a couple different holders and see if they come even close to each other.

I'd go ahead and weld it up with missle weld. It will hold togehter, or possibly dynamically dissasemble itself. As long as no one gets in the way of the component pieces you should be fine.

I would like to know what steel is usually used to make cheap imported Chinese toolholders, such as NMTB 30 or some such. Could it be 12L14 or it is something else?

I have a weird project where I would like to weld something to a cheap tool holder.

Thanks.

Why are you behaving like a CHEAPSKATE ????

You want to make something... and use CRAP to do it ??? WHY ????

This is very much like your wife calling you and saying....
"I have the recipe that i want to try for dinner tonight, but I'm just not wanting to spend a few $$ on meat at the market." So...on your way home, will you please pick up some ROAD KILL ??

What does a good grade of steel cost so you know exactly what your working with? 10$ ??

Last edited:
Chinese Metal Cross Reference

a copy of a few pages from Jianming Wujin Shouce listing Chinese, Russian, Japanese, USA, UK, German, France metal cross reference list.

the book which is over 1000 pages and I got from a 6 story tall massive bookstore in Shanghai a few years back is way too big to scan all of it.

the Engineering book section of the store had many many hundredths of different books on standard hardware (tools, fasteners, hardware store items) and on manufacturing with modern CNC machines and other world class technologies.

since I am an ignorant American who is illiterate in the most popular language on the planet (Chinese) I get books with lots of pictures or full of cross reference charts.

last time I sat down to tea asking a few Chinese engineers on the cost of having a custom 1/2 meter precision ground tool steel blade made I had asked it be made from W-1 or O-1 tool steel and they asked the next day if it could be made from an air hardening steel as they preferred this material as the heat treating could be done in their computer controlled electric furnace easier, faster, etc

you might want to put down the TV remote and consider doing some research on what technology is actually being used by your competition.

Attachments

• ChineseMetalsCrossReference_1.jpg
    ChineseMetalsCrossReference_1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 561
  • ChineseMetalsCrossReference_2.jpg
    ChineseMetalsCrossReference_2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 563
  • ChineseMetalsCrossReference_3.jpg
    ChineseMetalsCrossReference_3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 390
  • ChineseMetalsCrossReference_4.jpg
    ChineseMetalsCrossReference_4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 369
I've been told that some of the Taiwanese product is 8620. Don't know about mainland tooling. Been watching this market very closely and have noticed an improvement in quality over the last 4 years. Some of the domestic brands now have operations on the mainland and bring in the blanks to be finish ground here.. shipped back out as "USA".

Back