What's new
What's new

What is your impression about Chinese CNC machining shops?

Leonh

Banned
I have been visited lots of CNC machining shops in the past. Most of them have a decent office, but as soon as I enter their workshop, I am shocked. It's like from the heaven to the hell. Gloomy, dusty & oily...Do you really believe guys working this kind of environment will take care of quality? I don't.

Below is an image of our cnc machining shop, how do you like it?

QQ??20170629105951.jpg

Attachments

• QQ??20170629110454.jpg
    QQ??20170629110454.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,876
What! no safety boots, no eye protection, electrical extensions left on the floor to name but a few. Health & safety would have a field day in there. Could not possibly work under them conditions.

i have visited a few chinese machine shops. usually it is a mix. some are world class filled with some of the best machines and temperature controlled
others are full of old machines in unheated shops. can be quite cold in the winter.
it very much depends on the particular company and what they feel is important.

From what I have seen about people:
Cheap young people turn into cheap older people.
(A guy in my neighborhood owns a home (7 figures) with a plywood counter top in his kitchen. Douglas fir with the not patches showing. Pot burn marks, etc. Been like that for 40 years.

Sloppy young people turn into older slobs.

Back to OP issue; those people are not getting paid to clean the work area. It's hard to say if the environment affects quality. Personally I like to work with a clean environment. I believe it affects my work quality. As for pictures, doesn't get any better.

What! no safety boots, no eye protection, electrical extensions left on the floor to name but a few. Health & safety would have a field day in there. Could not possibly work under them conditions.

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic and not anti-China, because if someone from the US posted this exact picture everyone would be complimenting OP on how clean his shop is.

Well, it's certainly not cluttered up with work in progress.

Wish all Chinese shops looked like that.

I have been visited lots of CNC machining shops in the past. Most of them have a decent office, but as soon as I enter their workshop, I am shocked. It's like from the heaven to the hell. Gloomy, dusty & oily...Do you really believe guys working this kind of environment will take care of quality? I don't.

Below is an image of our cnc machining shop, how do you like it?

View attachment 202534

These images suggest lean manufacturing 5S, and quality engineering. However, you can't judge a shop by it's photos. If their concept of quality and attention to customers are less than the Japanese or, they have a psychopath in the board room then quality is suspect. If they don't demonstrate quality of materials, tolerances, practices, RCA/CAPA for real and philosophy then buyer beware.

shipyard

i took a tour of a Chinese shipyard building sea container ships. picture of ship launch of ship that has a 1024 container capacity ship being made in 3 to 4 months
the 3 machine shops were there were hugh. every American that saw the shipyard was in open month awe at the size of everything. the belief is tours were part bragging and part burst the pride bubble of many Americans. average american after taking tour felt very small and the company they worked for who they thought was a big american company was actually a very very small company.
most Americans thought there were no real machine shops in the Chinese city. true not many machine shops by the hotel they were staying at. the shipyard was only a few miles down the road where my company had a factory in China. i had no ideal it was even in the area until i asked around trying to find machine shops in the area. the ship being launched is about as tall as a 7 story building. and a 1024 capacity sea container ship is not considered big. they are building 10,000 capacity sea container ships now

Attachments

• Ship_b.jpg
    Ship_b.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 566
If you are into making molds, I hope it is higher quality then the Chinese molds I had to work on in the last 25 years....you can only polish a turd so much.

i have visited a few chinese machine shops. usually it is a mix. some are world class filled with some of the best machines and temperature controlled
others are full of old machines in unheated shops. can be quite cold in the winter.
it very much depends on the particular company and what they feel is important.

Exactly, we are not talking about occasional case here, every country has good and bad machining shops.

Sounds like you had a really bad experience with Chinese tooling shop. Most companies i know who outsourcing tooling job in China are happy with the price and quality. By the way, if the experience is that bad, why would you continue work with them for the last 25 years?

If you are into making molds, I hope it is higher quality then the Chinese molds I had to work on in the last 25 years....you can only polish a turd so much.

Sounds like you had a really bad experience with Chinese tooling shop. Most companies i know who outsourcing tooling job in China are happy with the price and quality. By the way, if the experience is that bad, why would you continue work with them for the last 25 years?

Back