What's new
What's new

Will a Vacuum chuck work?

davesvo

Aluminum
Need to hold aluminum bar blanks, 2" x 6" x 1" thick. I am thinking about making a custom vacuum chuck with about a .030 deep pocket for the blank to stop it from being able to slide . I need to do a .010 clean up on all sides, and drill 2 holes with counter bore. Looks similar to a Kurt soft jaw. I know there isn't a large surface for vacuum, but is there enough considering the light cuts?

Really though, that's not a whole lot of hold down. About 180lbs with a perfect vacuum at sea level and the full 6 x 2 area. Since it won't be perfect, and you have to drill thru holes, I'd guess probably half that. To me that doesn't seem like enough even with a pocket... But others here can answer better than me.

I know it's marginal, trying to save myself from building a fixture that won't work. I would o ring around the through holes to prevent vacuum loss.

I think the figure is 17 punds/square, so you've got around 200 max to work with.
Take away some for imperfections in the extrusion ...

Milling a pocket might work for keeping the projectiles down, but won't do much for tolerance....

Can you get away with a bigass plate, use a 3/8 EM to profile all your parts, then just bandsaw them apart at the end?

if the vacuum won't work, buy 1/4" thicker stock and use soft jaws to hold onto 1/8".
You can take heavier cuts, and push the tools.
Flip over and hog the stock to thickness.
The time saved will negate the price in thicker stock,if not save you money and time.

I would still make a fixture plate, not going to do 2 at a time in vise jaws it doesn't make sense not to use the full travel of the table and get a bunch of parts on at once. I was hoping that i could get away with the vacuum due to the light clean up that these parts need. I guess I am going to have to build a small 1 or 2 part test vacuum plate and see what happens, my next option is try some mitee bites and build a plate.

I would still make a fixture plate, not going to do 2 at a time in vise jaws it doesn't make sense not to use the full travel of the table and get a bunch of parts on at once. I was hoping that i could get away with the vacuum due to the light clean up that these parts need. I guess I am going to have to build a small 1 or 2 part test vacuum plate and see what happens, my next option is try some mitee bites and build a plate.

How many parts do you have to run?

250-300/ month could be more if i can keep the price right and deliver on time. potential for 2 more styles of this part same outer dimensions just the holes change.

Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 lbs/sq inch. That is the max hold down under perfect conditions. 176.4 total pounds. PSA fine sandpaper on the face of the chuck. And a flack vest.

vacuum chuck

Vacuum chuck works well to hold thin fragile films or small working pieces, I bought several vacuum chucks from Werlchem, a company from silicon valley, the chucks so far worked perfectly ,their website is www. chuck-table.com

Need to hold aluminum bar blanks, 2" x 6" x 1" thick. I am thinking about making a custom vacuum chuck with about a .030 deep pocket for the blank to stop it from being able to slide . I need to do a .010 clean up on all sides, and drill 2 holes with counter bore. Looks similar to a Kurt soft jaw. I know there isn't a large surface for vacuum, but is there enough considering the light cuts?

Vacuum chuck works well to hold thin fragile films or small working pieces, I bought several vacuum chucks from Werlchem, a company from silicon valley, the chucks so far worked perfectly ,their website is www. chuck-table.com

Oh, yes, and Werlchem having a trade mark of semixicon for their superconductor products has nothing to do with your forum name, or the fact that you bumped a 2 month old thread to post about vacuum chucks for use with thin films, even though they're not applicable at all.

Where do companies find such clueless PR people?

Begone, spammer.

Back