What's new
What's new

won't thread what's wrong is it something in my machines

skoobiz

Aluminum
Okay so I have two older models of HAAS machines VF3s to be exact. used to tap on them all the time but recently I have not been able to. when I do plastics I end up with no threads at all they are stripped out. and in any metal parts the taps break off every time. seams like it happens just as the machine reverses. could there be a synchronization problem? and if so how can I diagnose it and repair it. sucks having to take parts out of the machine and tap by hand.

Do you have access to a tachometer?
On an older Milltronics, I lost an encoder on another CNC mill, and it would not tap at all.
My Hurco needed parameters reloaded after a CPU swap, and the spindle RPM ratio was no longer correct. It too would not tap correctly in this state.

The only diagnostic tool that really helped was a tachometer.
If the spindle is out of sink with Z axis, then threads don't happen.

Doug.

I would look at a possible encoder issue not giving proper feedback. For the record never owned a Haas.

1st thing I'd check is to see if your'e feeding at the correct feedrate.
Are you in IPR? IPM?
What does your code look like? It could be something simple that you're not seeing.

Post your code.

What years Haas?

On my VF2, when the encoder belt broke, it just sat at the Z clearance position with the spindle turning, g84 will not run if there is no encoder feedback.

Get a piece of scrap and set it up to tap for a through hole, run the tap, E-stop right before reverse, pull it out/apart see what it looks like. Most tapping solutions are usually right in front of us and we don't see it, until we really investigate. It's a Haas so it shouldn't matter* but have you tried toggling G94 FPM and G95 FPR modes?

R

*It's a Haas :)

okay checked the timing belt it looks good. going to check it with a tach. to make sure RPM is correct. had another thought if that doesn't work I'll try slowing RPM down to just a few RPM and see if I can detect a sync. problem between spindle reverse and feed direction.

think FPM would work better than what I always used in the past which is FPR. this is a problem that has only shown its ugly face in the past year first on one machine now both are doing it

think FPM would work better than what I always used in the past which is FPR. this is a problem that has only shown its ugly face in the past year first on one machine now both are doing it

It has to be a mechanical problem then if you're running programs that are known to be good.

How old are your Haas-s?
I believe IPR was introduced only in the mid 2000-s or so.
My '01 Minimill can't do it.

Also, are you using tension/compression holder or rigid?

Have you tried it on both machines? Doubtful both encoders failed simultaneously!! If it fails at both machines, that is a very different problem, and probably an easier fix.

I would try selling the haas. you will save yourself much aggravation in the future. once we started having problems with our haas, got a okuma and all the problems went away, on the truck with the haas. lol

I would try selling the haas. you will save yourself much aggravation in the future. once we started having problems with our haas, got a okuma and all the problems went away, on the truck with the haas. lol

That is the most un-useful piece of information I've seen in a long time.
Just because your shop could not make a machine run does not mean the rest of the world is brain dead.

I would check the encoder with a scope, are al the chanels ok, or is the indexing pulse missing.
You checked the belt, are the pulleys tight?

Marko

That is the most un-useful piece of information I've seen in a long time.
Just because your shop could not make a machine run does not mean the rest of the world is brain dead.

Oh yes carbidebob, i forgot this is not the place for a bit of humor. get a life.
sorry you took the time to respond. it must of hurt.

Oh yes carbidebob, i forgot this is not the place for a bit of humor. get a life.
sorry you took the time to respond. it must of hurt.

This actually is a great digital place for humor!! There is one element that is integral to a good laugh though, did you know that when you want to tell a joke--it has to be funny first?

This actually is a great digital place for humor!! There is one element that is integral to a good laugh though, did you know that when you want to tell a joke--it has to be funny first?

that would be an opinion, just like assholes, remember. no, people here really don't have much of a sense of humor. things are taken way way to seriously.
someone throws a little comment in and gets slapped down(carbidebob). life is to short for that....cannot we all get along and have a joke or two along the way.
i guess not!

try 100 RPMs....and you use a spring holder right?

1 inch divided by threads per inch times 100 RPMs equals feed per minute

Back