What's new
What's new

Work offfest App

millerman88

Plastic
Ive been a machinist for 10 years and run a small shop in texas, recently my good friend and I have in the last few months started working on several programs that populate the work offsets for both my VMC and HMC. Right now it creates a program that can be run off of a USB stick and have been thinking about making the transition to creating an app to streamline the process. My question is how many of you out there would be interested in somthing like this? Also other than just being able to load multiple work offsets from you phone what else would you like it to do? Any comments are welcome.

Do you mean to load the pre-determined work shift (I.e. G54, G55, etc) values for some job instead of typing them in long hand in the offset page? If so, there is a G10 code that I use in the beginning of all my programs that loads those values in so after setting up my fixture I bring up the part program and, without updating workshifts from the previous job, hit cycle start and in the first few lines it pops in the work shift values. I don’t know if that kills your idea (I hope not!)......or maybe I’m misinterpreting your OP?

I was thinking many times about some helper app.

Buy all I could think of is a on-tablet setup sheet/tool list for setting up tool lengths.

Then again it is simpler to just print the damn thing and check it off with a pencil.

not sure how useful that would be unless you have permanent datums set up in your machine and all your fixtures were palletized

I have a several parts that I run repeatedly that are set up this way. I just make the first 3 lines of the program set the fixture offset via system variables.

%
O1234(G54 SETTING EXAMPLE)
#5221=-12.3456
#5222=-7.8901
#5223=2.3456

then the rest of the program....

The G10 command can also be used to do this as pointed out by Nerdlinger in post #2 if the machine was not equipped with user macro option.

AH! The G10 works but variables would be easier (or cleaner) IMO. ALL THIS TIME I COULD HAVE BEEN USING VARAIBLES!
Except if you make a work offset adjustment, the next cycle will overwrite your change. I suppose you could edit the program to make your changes. That wouldn't work in my shop.

We use a separate setup program that automatically probes all tools, probes all work offsets and dumps any wear or location adjustments recorded from previous runs.

Back