What's new
What's new

Would you cut or form 9/16"-12 x 1-1/2" deep, in 6061, with a 7 HP VMC?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I have a batch of parts that need a 9/16"-12 x 1-1/2", thru, in 6061. I would think form tapping, but am concerned my ~7 HP spindle will not like that. Anybody with a similar machine done form tapping of this size?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Its about maximum torque and not so much about horsepower. Without knowing what machine you have or your spindle specs the 7hp might be more than enough or totally useless.

2016 Brother Speedio S700X1 with the 16k RPM spindle. According to the docs I have 27 N-m of torque at 1000 RPM.

Regards.

Mike

Was unable to find definite torque specs but it could be 40Nm for std version and 92 Nm for high-torq version.(edit: I am obviously blind since you already mentioned 27Nm)

REIME NORIS | Torque Calculation
Reime-noris tapping torque calculator gives approx 15Nm for around that thread size for thread-forming tap so it seems you are good to go. Thread-forming to steel would be probaly too much.

REIME NORIS | Torque Calculation
Reime-noris tapping torque calculator gives approx 15Nm for around that thread size for thread-forming tap so it seems you are good to go. Thread-forming to steel would be probaly too much.

Interesting calculator, thanks for the link. I tried it with the following:

14.3mm for tap diameter
2mm pitch
400mm cutting speed (close to 1K rpm)
form tap
.75 machine efficiency (their default)

I got ~15nm torque, but also 18KW indicated power, or about 24Hp. You can still give it a shot, but I'd be prepared for stalling and having to manually remove the tap from the spindle or workpiece from the vise if things go wrong.

[Edited to correct values]

I get somewhat lower numbers:

Tapping torque 9-16 x 12.jpg

Not sure what they mean by, "Resulting indicated power". Seems like a large kW figure for that torque figure.

Regards.

Mike

It's the cutting speed, if you go from 400 to 200 mm/m you'll half the power with the same torque load. But you may also fall off the torque peak of the motor, so you'll have to game the numbers to see if you're comfortable with any combination.

I get somewhat lower numbers:

View attachment 204097

Not sure what they mean by, "Resulting indicated power". Seems like a large kW figure for that torque figure.

Regards.

Mike

Mike
Please don't shoot, because I know very little about form tapping but you do realise that calculator works on metres per minute, which makes your 400 metres / min about 1300 feet / min and 9/16 dia over 8,500 RPM.

Like I said I know very little about form tapping, ......but 8500 RPM strikes me as a ''tad brisk'' for any tapping operation.

I got bollixed up with metric <> inches.
Regards.

Mike

That's okay Mike, .....I've been fighting both systems since I left school in 1971, ......and still end up scratching my head muttering ''is that right? .....do it again you silly old sod, .........aah MMMM yea, that's better.'' :D

P.S. your 16.33 Nm torque is 12.08 lbs ft in proper money ;)

Mike
Please don't shoot, because I know very little about form tapping but you do realise that calculator works on metres per minute, which makes your 400 metres / min about 1300 feet / min and 9/16 dia over 8,500 RPM.

Like I said I know very little about form tapping, ......but 8500 RPM strikes me as a ''tad brisk'' for any tapping operation.

Hah! Thanks for the correction, Limy, I automatically read it as mm when I should have seen the M.

Stupid metric system, if we had just stayed with furlongs and cubits the world would be a better place...

It's the course pitch and depth that is getting me. The material is going to be springing back on the tap and the deeper it gets the more torque is going to be required I believe. I normally would recommend form tapping but I think this application is going to be borderline. You may want to cut tap this one. Your machine also has the full retract peck cycle, G277, available to get plenty of lube in the hole. The through hole helps though, you can use a tap with a lot of lead. A lot of other factors at play too, please post your results and final process if you can.

If it's a through hole, why not just cut tap?????? Get a tap for Al, that cuts free, and let it fly.
I form tap many jobs, but this one seems to call for a cut tap.

It's the course pitch and depth that is getting me. The material is going to be springing back on the tap and the deeper it gets the more torque is going to be required I believe.
Yes and no. Most of the work is done probably by the first half inch or so and rest of the tap is just idling along in the hole. Half inch or 2" depth should make not much difference.
(Though Guhring for example recommends forming taps with oil grooves for over 1xD thread depths, like this case. Thread length is only limited by tap shank)

If it's a through hole, why not just cut tap?????? Get a tap for Al, that cuts free, and let it fly.
I form tap many jobs, but this one seems to call for a cut tap.

IME spiral point taps have their limits, for deep threads even of they're through. I have had the stringers pile back up into the hole. 9/16"-12 x 1-1/2" deep is going to make some prodigious stringers, probably 6-8" long.

Regards.

Mike

IME spiral point taps have their limits, for deep threads even of they're through. I have had the stringers pile back up into the hole. 9/16"-12 x 1-1/2" deep is going to make some prodigious stringers, probably 6-8" long.

Regards.

Mike

It's a little over 2 diameters. Not a big deal. Get a sharp spiral point. Or, get a spiral flute and peck tap, Brother machines do that well. Think of cutting 1/4-20 5/8" through - no big deal, right? :)

Regards.

Mike

I love form taps too, but I agree with eaglemike that I think I would also reach for a simple spiral point cut tap for that hole.

I don't think it'll be as bad as you are thinking. 3-4" long maybe, not 6-8".

Back