What's new
What's new

Yang vmc seems to be running, WooHoo! Now what?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
After building a 25hp rpc, this machine was sounding OverTravel and servo OverCurrent alarms. My voltage was a few points over the %10 tolerance so I bought a buck boost transformer. Got the voltage down to 218 and balanced phase to phase. NO more alarms and using P+Can fixed the OverTravel alarms. So far all seems to be working. So my question: how to go from jogging around to making parts? I thought I would learn to write a simple single move program and work my way to more complicated stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how you learned cnc on you own? Thanks, steve.
20141213_193524.jpg

Talk it up that you have a C-and-C and sell a big money job that has to be done by a certain time. That'll make you learn really fast! ;) :D

In my opinion the easiest way to learn the basics is have someone help you write a couple simple programs and make sure they explain things well. In the event that you can't get anyone to help you hopefully you have some old programs in the control. Take a look at them and figure out exactly what each code is doing. If you are really green it'll look all confusing. Once you figure out the basics though it gets much simpler. There is a lot of code that is similar from program to program. There's lots of good info (for free) on the web. The problem is you're going to have to sort through it to find the good stuff. Hard to do when you may not even quite know what you are looking for.

Do you have any cnc experience at all?

If your goal is to start making parts yesterday than you'd probably be better off getting a cheap CAM and learn to use it to start pumping out code. CAM will generally create programs that are bigger than what you'd make by hand, but it will spit them out way faster than longhand coding.

Get your self a list of G codes and beat them into your head. I had no cnc experience about 9 months ago and I had a bud with a CNC shop help with the basics. Setting up tool offsets and g54 offsets and so on, I do very easy things by G code at the machine like drill a hole or facing but other than that I use CAM software. It will let you make some parts way faster. My hats off to the guys that program at the machine pages and pages of code. Also get a speed/ feed calculator of some sort. Also take pictures of all the Parameters and Diagnostics pages as a backup and any other screens, then when you get some CAM or DNC software you can make some computer backups of Parameters and Diagnostics and Tool change programs this stuff is very important if you ever have a problem.

Do you have any cnc experience at all?

If your goal is to start making parts yesterday than you'd probably be better off getting a cheap CAM and learn to use it to start pumping out code. CAM will generally create programs that are bigger than what you'd make by hand, but it will spit them out way faster than longhand coding.

None at all but been manual for 6 years. I just started reading the hass programing manual. Looking at the saved programs in the machine is a good idea. Will start looking for a cam. Good advice. Thanks.

Those cheap keypads sure suck!

Yep - look through some of the shorter programs that are on board currently.
Take special note of everything above N1

If you have a G code list and the M code list FOR YOUR MACHINE when looking at an old program - it makes sense real quick.
Without those lists - it will mean nothing.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

None at all but been manual for 6 years. I just started reading the hass programing manual. Looking at the saved programs in the machine is a good idea. Will start looking for a cam. Good advice. Thanks.
Keep in mind that there are a few differences between hass and fanuc code. Not much, but here and there they differ so if you try something from the hass manual on your machine and it doesn't work it may be the control, not you. You definitely don't want to try learning from a fanuc manual though unless chinglish is your native tongue.

Coming from manual machines you'll want to get a good handle on feeds and speeds. You can't feel your cuts in a CNC so if you over do it the warning usually sound like "crunch."

So amongst other things, an important first concept imo is learning how the Z-height and tool offsets work is a very key thing. Like when you setup new tools (not sure if you have a set of tool holders and tools that came with the machine?) You sort of have to understand the "Z math" of the machine and develop your own procedure to set new tools. I use an edge technology setter that I really like. I just got myself a Haimer Taster for being such a good boy all year long (lol) and it has earned its keep in less than 2 jobs.

I use mostly always G90, I once crashed while doing MDI at super low speeds, but I commanded a Z-negative move in G91 which was about 5" under the vise ....alarmed out for servo current limt but not going fast enough to screw anything up. So the difference between those is important. Its soldered into my brain now :)

G1 is pretty easy, learning the sign conventions for the I and J in G2 and G3 takes a few minutes to get used to.

Next up is learning about the fixture offsets for the various vise(s) you will be using.

I'd start with regular milling cutters, then add a drill bit, then add a tap, maybe an engraving cutter/tiny ball endmill for some engraving practice. Each of those has their own quirks and parameters that will "add" on to other things you already learned.

But, I'd suggest making a few things around the shop with it, at first it will seem cumbersome because it will seem like you could have had this job done long ago at a manual machine. But keep at it, learning gets better and better with every job, get into a parts run is where your mill will shine.

After building a 25hp rpc, this machine was sounding OverTravel and servo OverCurrent alarms. My voltage was a few points over the %10 tolerance so I bought a buck boost transformer. Got the voltage down to 218 and balanced phase to phase. NO more alarms and using P+Can fixed the OverTravel alarms. So far all seems to be working. So my question: how to go from jogging around to making parts? I thought I would learn to write a simple single move program and work my way to more complicated stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how you learned cnc on you own? Thanks, steve.
View attachment 124472

If you have a trade school nearby you can do a course at, then that would be good.
Otherwise, you could get all of the Heinz Putz cnc training DVD's (doccnc.com), and watch them about 10 times each until it sinks in. That's what I did, and it worked for me. No CNC nightclasses down here.
I think that learning the basics and being able to program manually / long- hand should be done before going to a CAM program IMO. Heinz posts on this site occasionally. Seeing as you got the machine for a steal, I would strongly suggest investing several hundred dollars on the full DVD set, then watch them as many times as you need. It is all about the basics of Fanuc programming and machine setup and familiarisation. You will also need to consult your machines own manual for M-codes and a few other things though.
Cheers, Dean.

I bought machines to make parts. Hired a part-time programmer to get me up and running. Watched over his shoulder for about 40 hours.

I bought my CNC lathe and hooked it all up before I ever had parts I needed it for. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I didn't have much of a clue how to use it for the first couple years I owned it. Then when I needed it I learned it real fast.

Hard to do much effectively without a cam program. Hard to see the bigger picture how you should setup tools and offsets and make setup sheets and fixtures without a little experienced help. That's why I hired the programmer. I got all the basics from him, asked a million questions and got a good, basic education for a lot less than a college coarse.

I use mostly always G90, I once crashed while doing MDI at super low speeds, but I commanded a Z-negative move in G91 which was about 5" under the vise ....alarmed out for servo current limt but not going fast enough to screw anything up. So the difference between those is important. Its soldered into my brain now :)

G1 is pretty easy, learning the sign conventions for the I and J in G2 and G3 takes a few minutes to get used to.

Such an applicable point it bears repeating. Watch out for G91 and -ve Z moves.

G00'd an 8" facemill through a 1" steel plate when I noticed the next line had a G91 in it. G01 G91 Z-16.5 F400.0 "Oh, that's modal should probably stop it BANG!!!". The facemill held up remarkably well- it kept cutting until the Z overload tripped.

Also, since you're getting Fanuc'd, you can only do a full circle with G02/G03 and I. R values after G02/G03 are only for radii and not full 360* circular interpolations. For instance, if you want a circle with a 1.5" diameter, your code would simply be G02 I0.75 F10.0. Note the I value is the radius, and there is no cutter compensation here (G40/41/42) so the centre of the tool would have a path 1.5" in diameter. F10.0 is simply feed 10IPM (not to insult your intelligence). You could not have the program read G02 R0.75 F10.0 as it would result in a much smaller rad and the actual tool path is not easily predicted or explained here.

Try some simple tool paths w/o cutter comp and then work up to using compensations.

I have a couple machines with that control, pretty common older control.

I would look at the disks Heintz sells for basics. Or as OX says, look at the G-Code lists in your manual. If you need, I can send along a program that runs on my OMs to show you the structure of the program.

Your going to need to learn tool/fixture offsets and how to set them. The basic codes including safety codes and how to structure the program itself before you can even cut air. Then obviously feeds/speeds and all that fun stuff.

While many will recommend buying CAM(And I do too), do yourself a favor and learn g-code so you know wtf the cam is spitting out. Most times a post processor is not perfect out of the box, and will need tweaking. For many reasons knowing the code even when using cam is priceless.

Pretty sure that you can doo a full circle on Fanuc in one line, but I don't seem to have a copy of the one part that comes to mind* that I used it. I learned on quadrants on old Cinci, and feel most comfortable going 1/2 way and coming back, so I kant spit the code out off hand, but pretty sure it's possible.

* My Fanucs are on lathes with milling. Unfortunately none of our mills have a Fanuc. :toetap:
I doubt the code only werks on a lathe...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

As bad as they are, you need to get the Fanuc programming manuals for your control.

General statement:
I don't see how anyone can really learn how to program and operate any control without having the correct programming manuals from the MTB and control maker.

As luck would have it I got the MTB manuals: electronics with m-code list, parts, installation, and a list of parameters. I also found the programing/operating, maintenance Fanuc manuals online. All the Fanuc is PDF if anyone ever needs them.

I guess I'll crack that programming manual open tonight and try to get a grasp on program structure of this control. I appreciate the advice, steve.

Back