What's new
What's new

Z axis won't move - no alarms...?

yahuie

Plastic
I was making parts on my Excel PMC 5t18 today, and all of a sudden, the z axis quit moving. I think it quit after doing a 'reset'.
It has a Fanuc 21 M control on it.
I checked the back panel, and saw no alarms. I tried a complete power down and that didn't help. The x and y axes move fine in handle feed mode. I don't know if it's related, but when I press the coolant on button, I can hear the motor starter momentarily kick in, but it doesn't stay in like it usually does. Any suggestions?
Any help appreciated.

Possibly you bumped the Z axis feed neglect switch (if you have one)?

I was thinking the same thing.....I am completely unfamiliar with that machine and control......I remember an old cnc I used to run that had a z neglect switch and another that if you flipped the setup switch it would ignore z axis moves.

Another item to check would be the various switches/sensors that indicate the "home" position of each toolchanger movement. If one of those switches has failed or the mechanism has moved from the "home" position it will turn on the Z axis interlock. I don't have a 21M to verify this but per the manual, check PMC diagnostic G130, bit 2(Z axis). If it is 0 and bits 0(X axis) and 1(Y axis) are 1, then the Z interlock is active.

Thanks for all the input! I think it had something to do with the third response about the Z axis interlocks. I got all set up on another machine and realized (duh!) that I needed the tools from the first machine. I used the m codes for the tool to move, etc. tried the Z axis one more time and it moved. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what did it, but thanks!

Back