What's new
What's new

Abene mill ID?

I believe Peterfomholland has it right VHF3 power feeds on all axis. The 2 only has power feed on one axis.

Paul

Thanks for the replies. After a little more research it appears the choices are so limited that it is easy to ID as a VHF3. I found this you tube was a great description;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4RLS1duZHU
I am looking forward to getting it home and playing with it. I had been looking for a Sajo horizontal with a vertical head and I was a bit perplexed by the side mount head. Is it possible to fit a head with a quill from a newer model?
Rob

Nice video you found there.

Someone here did fit the new quill head to an old machine. Buying a new quill head is likely to cost many tines what yu paid for the whole machine.
Other options for a quill head - attach a bridgeport head tot he overarm support (I think that has been done as well). Look around for another ld one with a quill head - One was on ebay a year or so ago.

Paul

Yes VHF3. Sorry about that.
Got my specs on now.
Abene made a quill attachment which is no longer available as far as I know ( would be costly if it was ).
The only used one I've seen for sale was on here a couple years ago.
Better to adapt a Bp style head. Ted

As I mentioned but may have not been clear enough, a member here put a brand new Abene quill head on a machine he had. I believe he paid about 5000 euros for it so if you have the $$$ you can get a new head. Pictures of his compelted machine are here (he did a fantastic job - I know I will never get mine to look like that).
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/pics-completed-abene-266712/

There is a PM member that has one with the original movable quill (we did a round previously on whether is should be quill, moveable quill), and I saw one on ebay about 1-2 years ago as well so there are at lest some of them around.

Paul

On the quill head.

They were available some year ago, but like been said they are very costly.
However, depending on what you paid for the machine and the condition it is in. It might be worth at least considering as, at least here, the price of the machine increases significatly with the quill.
And as always, if you can make some money from the quill it`s a totaly diffrent equation, or maybe you don`t have to buy a drilling machine, or can sell the one you have? Still, quill on the mill and a good drilling machine ain`t really the same. Work envelope in the mill is a limiting factor, again depends on what you do.

On the quill head.

They were available some year ago, but like been said they are very costly.

Think 5000 Euros for a complete new spindle ,movable quill,housing and drive gearing is a good deal.....

Of course its all a cost/return question. If you are hobby working then 5K would be a lot to lay out for entertainment value.
If you are using the machine and its making money and the quill is required to realize its full potential, then the investment is a good move.

Don't think its cost effective to look at the addition of the quill for future resale. That is something you have to do for your own needs.

Cheers Ross

Back