What's new
What's new

Abene motor bearings

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I didn't know what sort of shape the bearings in the spindle motor of my VHF3 were in, so I opened the motor up to have a look, then replaced the bearings since they're cheap. The service manual seems a bit brief, so here's my take.

Bearings are Swedish SKF 6206-2Z and 6205-2Z-C2. Not sure why the C2 is there, but I replaced it with the same.

If you take your motor apart then mark the three parts so they go back together the same way. You can figure it out afterwards, but it's easier to just mark them first (I marked them but cleverly cleaned the marks off before reassembly).

I typed the number off the belt - 1165L1 - into Google, first hit was RockAuto, which had exactly 3 (the quantity needed) on closeout for $1.38 each.
a-motor-block-2.jpg
This is how the motor wires attach to the terminal block.
a-motor-ecentric-1.jpg
This shows the eccentric used for belt adjustment.
a-motor-ecentric-2.jpg
This is the belt adjustment on the other end of the motor, which is less obvious.
a-motor-end.jpg
This is the drive end of the motor.
a-motor-hole-wiring.jpg
This is what the motor hole in the column.

Pretty much with few exceptions i replace "shielded" bearings (ZZ) with the sealed equivalent...(2RS)
Think they last longer, keep the grease in and the environment out....Nice work.

Multi belts fit to a common sheave should to be a matched set. Usually made up off the same fixture. Think you can tell by the numbers.

Cheers Ross

I replaced my motor bearings recently. Similar to your writeup but I did go with 2RS sealed type. You can determine where to switch to shielded based on size and rpm. Bearings of this size and speed are still within the sealed limits from memory at least.
I have the flat belt so no similarities there.

Back