What's new
What's new

Abene VHF3 1964. Oil levels knee

VW181

Plastic
Hello all,

I just got my first mill, an Abene VHF3 from 1964.

Abene_VHF3_small.jpg

It seemed ok, but sadly I have my first problem. An heavily leaking oil seal from the drive-axis from the feeding. And sadly this axle is totally messed up. But I probably can fix that.

Problem now is that I have to empty and refill the knee with oil.
But I see more plugs in the knee. And I know by now it has two oil reservoirs in the knee.
One for the X and Y axis, and one for the Z axis.
But what is what and what are the levels.
I found another thread here about it, but my machine is a bit older and a little different and has no level-glass in the knee.

Oil-plugs_small.jpg

I got from Abene the manual for my machine, but for this type they could only find the Swedish version.:( But these plugs are not mentioned in the graphics in this manual.

And what oil are you using?

Hope someone can help me here.

I'm using 100 wt hydraulic oil. There is Abene specific lubricant information on the web if you search.
My guess based on my 1966 machine is that you empty the Z at "drain 2" and fill it up until it starts coming out at "3" when the knee is basically fully lowered.
You drain the feed transmission reservoir using "drain 1" and fill it through "1" until it spills out of "2". If it is anything like mine you should have a tube coming out of "2" that starts down inside near "drain 1". Purpose is to pull water out. According to the manual you fill with oil until it comes out without water entrained.

Thank you cwilcox for your answer.
Good to know about that tube.

Any idea how much oil is going into the machine in total? (in knee and gearbox)

No idea, I bought 5 gallons for my whole machine and went back for a second 5 gallons. This is part of the reason I went with hydraulic oil. It is reasonable price and compatible with the yellow metals.

Post 4
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/abene-oil-us-again-333198/

Attachments i had relating to oils.
Abene Lubricants.jpg
Hydraulic Oil Viscosity.jpg

I also posted a bunch of stuff in my overhaul thread.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-mills/abene-s-n-3864-overhaul-thread-316851/

Adatesman and piano something, forgive me for forgetting their screen names also have good Abene information on this forum. If you google well it doesn't take long to read through all the Abene posts here.

10 gallons / 40 liters :crazy: :eek: that much..... hahaha

According to the manual for my machine/year I need Shell Vitrea 31 for everything. A few years later it's Shell Tellus 29 for everything.
But in your PDF they use 3 different kind of oils for the machine.
But I understand you use 1 kind of oil for everything?
Sadly mine has no central oiling system.

I asked an oil dealer and they say to use Shell Tellus S2 MX 46. So gonna buy some liters of that oil I think.

You had a lot of work on your Abene. You did a nice job!!!
I hope mine is in a little better condition on the inside than yours..... but I will see...

I would buy the 5 gallons (20 liters) to start because you may want to change the other oils and then you won't have to go to the store again.

Back