What's new
What's new

Aciera F2, take column off base?

sandiapaul

Titanium
I have purchased an F2 and now need to move it. Its in a basement. Has anyone even taken the machine off the sheet metal base? I can see two hole in the sheet metal under where the electrical controls are that look like they are for putting a wrench in(allen head maybe?)

Where the machine site now I can just see a plate on the back of the base that might be access for the two fasteners on the back of the column.

If taking it apart means disconnecting a lot of wires I'd rather not do it, but getting it up the stairs might mean I have to.

Just looking for anyone that has taken the two pieces apart.

Thanks,
Paul

I never took mine off the base, and have since sold it, but I am pretty sure there were four socket head cap screws from the base into the column from below.

I have purchased an F2 and now need to move it. Its in a basement. Has anyone even taken the machine off the sheet metal base? I can see two hole in the sheet metal under where the electrical controls are that look like they are for putting a wrench in(allen head maybe?)

Where the machine site now I can just see a plate on the back of the base that might be access for the two fasteners on the back of the column.

If taking it apart means disconnecting a lot of wires I'd rather not do it, but getting it up the stairs might mean I have to.

Just looking for anyone that has taken the two pieces apart.

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks I was wondering if you would respond, but I didn't know you sold yours. I'm thinking exactly that about the SHCS, but I hope there is not too much wiring that needs attending to.

The only wiring into the column on mine ran to the receptacle on the back for the spindle motor. I think it must have been a max of 4 wires bundled together. The lamp was mounted to the base, and not the column.

I took mine apart to move it and pretty sure there were capscrews accessed through the back panel A hex driver on a cocket wrench would help as there is not a lot of room to swing a wtrench underr there. Thinking it's an 8 or 10mm wrench. I can check mine if you like. If it's wired like mine, all wiring is external from the base up.

While you have it apart, you should check out the condition of the clock spring. Mine has been weak and possibly broken since I've had mine and I've neglected to investigate further due to the pita factor of taking the column off.

Todd

There are 4 capscrews that take an 8mm wrench. it is very low clearance for the two in front and I do remember regretting not bringing a ratchet driver to dis-assemble.

Did yours come out of Bulova?

Todd,

Thanks for the info, it will come in handy and yes from Bulova originally, i'm getting it from the second owner.

Any idea on the weight of the column? Could two people walk it up stairs? Assuming the entire head and ram are removed.

Thanks!

2-300 sounds about right. I wouldn't want to move it downstairs alone. The problem with moving it down stairs with 2 people is the odd shape of the column. there is really no comfortable way to hold it especially at the top end. Might be better strapped to a dolly or figure out some way to attach some poles or handles. The cabinet base isn't lightweight either.

Back