What's new
What's new

Anyone here know the wiring for the "ON / OFF" buttons of an early 70's FP3 or FP2?

Admin5

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone here know the wiring for the "ON / OFF" buttons of an early 70's FP3 or FP2?

Previous owner rigged up an extrernal switch box but I would like to restore it back to original (and yes there was a reason for the new box as one of the old switches was acting up, but I fixed it) Photos below...what wire goes where on the original switches ?

IMG_1421.jpg IMG_1422-2.jpg

I can figure it out regardless but there are a couple of extra wires in there not sure about function.

Milacron

About the best photos (excuse the out of focus shot) I have of my switch before (first 2 are pre-VFD) it was gutted for the VFD conversion (second last photo), then post conversion using the original switch..

IMG_1176.jpg IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1656.jpg IMG_1658.jpg IMG_1802.jpg

Off topic...

The mixture of gray and green paint on your machine looks a lot like mine. The people who did the green paint were sloppy, so 80% of it flaked right off. In the remaining 20% of spots the gray paint was abraded enough or clean enough that the green stuff stuck, and there seems to be no way to remove it without injuring the nice gray stuff underneath.

Off topic...

The mixture of gray and green paint on your machine looks a lot like mine. The people who did the green paint were sloppy, so 80% of it flaked right off. In the remaining 20% of spots the gray paint was abraded enough or clean enough that the green stuff stuck, and there seems to be no way to remove it without injuring the nice gray stuff underneath.
You will be pleased to hear it's an old photo prior to a more thorough clean up. It played on my OCD a little too much. It's now the much nicer grey. The green was poor quality paint and it came off with a small amount of methylated spirits without noticeably injuring the much harder grey paint. Interestingly I have a Kearns S Type that has a factory green paint job. The paint is chipping and coming off. Another member here that lives close by has an earlier vintage S Type in the much nicer grey. Interestingly the paint from the earlier vintage is much higher quality.

Interestingly the paint from the earlier vintage is much higher quality.

Not surprising really...been a steady decrease in coating quality over the years...both prep costs and environmental restrictions along with safety for users has pushed
changes in the chemistry of applied finishes at the expense of durability IMO......
But seems a small price to pay to be able to breathe.....
Cheers Ross

Not surprising really...been a steady decrease in coating quality over the years...both prep costs and environmental restrictions along with safety for users has pushed
changes in the chemistry of applied finishes at the expense of durability IMO......
But seems a small price to pay to be able to breathe.....
Cheers Ross
That makes sense Ross. The S-Type is a wonderful machine. To me it's a special piece of equipment, much like the Deckel. I would never part with either of them. I run an indicator across the full travel of my S Types table and it does not move at all. I can spin the table 90 deg and it's exactly the same. I think one thing that kept the wear down on these machines is the one-shot oiler system. It works really well and saturates the sliding surfaces. It would have been nice if Deckel had them on earlier machines.

IMG_2326.jpg

The green was poor quality paint and it came off with a small amount of methylated spirits without noticeably injuring the much harder grey paint.

The green patches on my FP2 also get on my nerves. Unfortunately methanol doesn't affect them. The only solvent I have found that will remove them is acetone, and that also removes the good gray stuff.

Other suggestions for solvents/chemicals to try would be very welcome!

Back