What's new
What's new

Anyone selling buttress thread to 5/8-11" adapters ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
So you can use CAT40 tooling on a manual Deckel ? Could get some threaded rod from Deckeldapter guy, and make my own...but I vaguely recall someone somewhere offering the completed deal, but I wasn't paying attention at the time. For that matter would be nice to buy buttress to M16 adapters to use BT40 tooling too.

Singer also has the opposite converter for tooling...That is to say a ring ID threaded to fit the 20mm Buttress and with the OD turned to take the grippers from a CNC spindle.
I have a number of these and they work fine...allows the standard 40 Deckel collet to be run in your CNC machine.
Or a standard manual arbor for horizontal work to run in your FP-NC...
What i use them most for is holding my buttress threaded Deckel test arbor in the CNC machine to set the head for angle or true to an axis etc....
Cheers Ross

Singer also has the opposite converter for tooling...That is to say a ring ID threaded to fit the 20mm Buttress and with the OD turned to take the grippers from a CNC spindle.
That's interesting Ross.... I don't need any, as I have a plethoria of Deckel pull stud tools already.... but interesting such a creature exist :)

Well i like the ability to use the horizontal arbors and not have to stock duplicates of a tool i would rarely use on the CNC. And of course the test mandrel as stated before.
Cheers Ross

There are several companies that make S20 to M16 adapters but I haven't found one that makes S20 to 5/8NC ones. I've spent a fair amount of time looking but no luck.

For M16 versions, you could try Haimer USA:

Haimer GmbH - Pull Stud

(last one on page)

there's also Schunk:
http://www.schunk.com/schunk_files/attachments/zubehoer_Anzugsbolzen_Nutensteine_DE_EN.pdf

(page 3)

There's also KFH, or just get them from Singer.

Spannzangenfutter, Collet chuck, SK40 - KFH - Hersteller von Fräserspannwerkzeugen

Chris

Uh...Chris....that's not what we're talking about... those are pull studs. What we are talking about would look like below...

thread-adapter2.jpg

Try reading the response.

Okay, lets try this again for those not paying attention.

What you are looking for looks like this:

Anzugsbolzen S20x2
Yes, that's it.

or... you could try Haimer USA:

Haimer GmbH - Pull Stud

LAST one on page. (Pull Stud with saw thread S 20 x 2) Not the first.
I saw that, but was thrown off by the fact that it says "pull stud" which it isn't, and the threads aren't drawn in, and it just looks like a pull stud from the profile. Same with Schunk...says "retention knob"...which it isn't. But I see it now....just that the drawing profile and nomenclature is a bit odd...thanks for sharing and clarifying.

Regardless, this afternoon I ordered aprox 32" of threaded S20 rod from Mr. Deckeldapter and will just make my own. A slight cringer as I just got in an order from Singer today and could have got a few of these for essentially free shipping if I had the foresight to ask about these a few weeks ago ! But it's ok since I'd really rather have S20 to 5/8-11" anyway...got more CAT holders than BT.

The ones Singer has are really nice, too bad you missed including it with your order...

His ebay shop has two versions, one is more expensive and has the buttress portion with ground threads.

I've seen at least 5 versions of the same thing from different manufacturers, with minor variations so you'd think someone would make an inch version.

FWIW, Singer's I liked the most as they have a broached hex in both ends and the hardened & ground thread makes for smooth insertion.

Schunk's catalog drawing looks identical to the Singer part, maybe that's his source?
http://www.schunk.com/schunk_files/attachments/zubehoer_Anzugsbolzen_Nutensteine_DE_EN.pdf (pg. 3)

Other versions only have a screwdriver slot in one end or a single wrench flat for tightening so the internal hex is nice.

Online prices vary a lot, Singer's cheap version is a bit over 7 euro each, Amazon.de is 14 Euro:
Anzugsbolzen Deckel SK40-M16 S20x2 GSW: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

12 Euros here: KWT-Tools - Anzugsbolzen DIN 2080 S20 x 2 / M 16 401.20.16.S

to the sphincter clenching 16 euros each in Holland:
G057 S20x2 - Budget Tools Web Shop

Budget tools my ass.

blah, blah, blah... anyway, if anyone with a cnc lathe wants to make some I've got a Solidworks model of the stud in either 5/8NC or M16 flavor. Free for the asking.

Chris

Regardless, this afternoon I ordered aprox 32" of threaded S20 rod from Mr. Deckeldapter and will just make my own.

I find myself somewhat perplexed, given that you almost certainly own the widest variety of high end CNC machines on this forum why not just make them from bar stock :confused:

Seems that you will most likely be finish machining your adapters with one of your CNC machines & then have to fiddle around getting the threaded rod set up for concentricity.

The great attraction of a CNC lathe to me is fast/easy/repeatable threading........or have I been led up the garden path ? ;)

regards

Brian

Amazing - this buttress thread was the first thread I ever did on my 9x20 (Correction the first thread I ever did) - still got some stock sitting on the shelf.

Now if I had a CNC......

Maybe Milacron doesn't have a 9x20 lathe and his are all too big.

Chris P

I find myself somewhat perplexed, given that you almost certainly own the widest variety of high end CNC machines on this forum why not just make them from bar stock :confused:
Actually, the only CNC lathe I own at the moment is a Milltronics combination manual/CNC flat bed lathe. As it's for sale, it didn't even occur to me to "learn Milltronics" and use it for this...but now that you mention it, I probably should...except that would mean hooking up the coolant tank, adding coolant, etc...

Milacron

Actually, the only CNC lathe I own at the moment is a Milltronics combination manual/CNC flat bed lathe. As it's for sale, it didn't even occur to me to "learn Milltronics" and use it for this...but now that you mention it, I probably should...except that would mean hooking up the coolant tank, adding coolant, etc...

Milacron

Don't need any stinking coolant to run those threads....Don't have any coolant in my Romi and i run it that way every day.
Those threads would run slow enough to use local cutting oil applied by a brush.

Run those studs out of 4142 pre hard material. Plenty strong and will finish like glass if you get it right....about 300 SFPM for turning and thread at about 800 RPM......
Cheers Ross

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Grind up a proper threading tool and bang 'em out on that snazzy Schaublin you've got. Grind up a tool for a boring head a threadmill 'em on one of your CNCs (doubt you have a threadmill with the buttress profile).

Don't need any stinking coolant to run those threads....Don't have any coolant in my Romi and i run it that way every day.
Those threads would run slow enough to use local cutting oil applied by a brush.
True, but more to the job than just cutting the threads. Need to quickly turn the bar stock to 5/8 diameter and after threading both diameters, the cutoff to consider. Sure you could do it all without spray coolant...but if I was going to the trouble of setting up the whole deal from barstock I'd want to do alot and do them fast. Guess I need that Miyano back, bar feed and all...

Sounds like the same old story, so many small projects and no time to do them. You dont get paid to make the things you use. I think of that everytime I buy a soft jaw that I should be making them myself but I never seem to come up the the time to do it. I did buy some material to make several sets a few months ago. But then I got busy and havnt had the time to program the machine. Now that I think of it I believe I did use that material for something else after all....

Well I will get around to it soon enough, after I install the air dryer, build a rack for the new collets, make storage for the ring gages, make a rack for the allen wrenches, organize the file cabinet, get someone to clean the cat poop off of the front stoop, wash the windows and before I forget program and run some parts for my customers. Nothing to it, I should have those vise jaws made before lunch.

Good luck Don...

Charles

Back