What's new
What's new

A big thanks to all .

vmkelley

Aluminum
I would like to post a BIG thank you to all people Past and Present for all the help in saving an old Deckel from the scrap Yard. Your post and info of systems and repairs make it possible . It is FP42NC about 1985 . It's been three years of part time work and research .Started using it last year on a limited basis and continued working out problems . Again Thanks for the forum and all your HELP .My wife and I are in our seventies and ites good to stay busy.Here are some Pics. and 000_0001.jpg000_0002.jpg000_0007.jpg100_0183.jpg100_0184.jpg some of the projects . Mike Kelley

I'm just curious how in gawd's name do you stand it in Michigan in an uninsulated building ??

I understand what your saying and I did complete insulating the shop .We use a waste oil heater that produces up 180 Degree out put and will make that shop 65 to70 in record time even in Michigan .I'll try to find some pics . Mike000_0003.jpg I'll take some better pics. Mike

Answering questions about heating in northern Winters . This how I do it . 100_0190.jpg100_0191.jpg100_0192.jpg100_0193.jpg100_0194.jpg Waste Oil Furnace , I have used this type for 40 years . This is about the 7h in the Third Building .I use a small grooming tank to keep the viscosity the same for constant temps . Chevy sbc oil pump run with 110 volt motor 1/3 hp . The burner is compressed air atomization with 90 psi air and 40 psi oil . The burner heat is controlled by a needle valve on the oil = 140 k BTU input 8/10s of a gallon per hour is 105 k BTU .s out. Normally I run 150 Degree out put,We can not run this all day ,when it gets 65 or70 shut down ,They don't run at low out temps well .I buy a new furnace them resell the oil burner gun and circuit board .The environment in the shop is dirty so I use a five filter box on the air intake to last longer and out side air tube to replace lost combustion air. That's a quick look at How some do it . Thanks Mike Kelley

I haven't heard of a waste oil furnace for years...I remember some old garages back in the 90's which used waste oil.The place was hot but that smell was all over your for hours after visit...Truly a violation of Kyoto Protocol...(if US had ratified)

Makes me cold just thinking about it....here we break out the muck-lucks and parka's when the temp dips below 42*.
Cheers Ross

Ha! Where I am it is 'cold' at 60 degrees. :D Just a few days ago it was 50 when I left for work and I was freezing my a** off! :(

Hey Mike,
You're in your seventies and still working? What the heck for? Go out and have some fun or go golfing or something. We too are in our seventies and I can't stop working. I like being busy. Plus there's a bonus. I get paid to be busy! Some people just don't get it. And yes, we have our fun times too.

The talk about waste oil burners and EPA makes me wonder- exactly how compliant are the big ships burning (sort of) bunker C in their big diesel engines in our ports. Doubt if they're even close to compliant. And I know thry are a major component of air polution in Vancouver BC. Then again the small foundries near me burning waste oil to melt non ferous aren't compliant either...

Lucky7

(Who's burning plenty of natural gas to heat house and shop... Averaged minus freakin 25 this week)

Ha! Where I am it is 'cold' at 60 degrees. :D Just a few days ago it was 50 when I left for work and I was freezing my a** off! :(

It's -6*C here today and I still wore shorts and a tee shirt to work. Tomorrow is supposed to get down to -10. Might have to wear jeans....we'll see. :)

Some movement to clean up the shipping at least here. Port or Oakland has spent big money to provide better, more complete shore side power for ships
so they can shut down their plants while in port...

As to the pollution of the engines....Pretty much they all pay fines levied by the EPA i believe every time they start up a main engine....If the inspector sees smoke from the sky pipe,
the company pays. Once warmed up and trimmed they do better, but the initial start up tends to be dirty...
Cheers Ross

I'm just curious how in gawd's name do you stand it in Michigan in an uninsulated building ??

My sister gave me her uninsulated 2 car garage to store some of my machines ; rest of the stuff is in rental storage. I need to clean the machines in the garage but loathe working in this weather, so going to insulate it and drywall first.

Temp was 16F midday today but windchill of under 1deg F makes it seem like the temp is below Zero.

Back