What's new
What's new

Collet designation for a Thiel 158-S

Pcpellet

Plastic
Hello folks, (posted on general board plus here)

Can anyone provide the correct name or DIN classification of the two styles of collets commonly supplied with Thiel 158-s machines back in the day.*

The main one having a 31mm body diameter, 40 degree incl angle on the tapered nose and an acme 18tpi external draw thread on the tail end. Anti-rotation by way of a dogpoint key as in an R8 or 5C spindle nowadays.

A further reducing sleeve was supplied with the vertical head reducing to a smaller collet of similar overall appearance, albeit with a 24mm body diameter and (I assume) an internal drawbar thread like an R8. This assumption because the reducing sleeve itself was retained by the draw tube with its 18tpi acme thread.

The spindles themselves are both MT5. Whilst I have made new spindle adapters to accomodate 40 taper tooling for convenience, I am still curious if the original collets have a modern equivalent.

That aside, since acquiring the little 158, it has been a sturdy and useful addition to the shop, both for customer work and for my own playtime toolmaking activities and making machine and workholding accessories. Nice to add the Deckel-type mill to the big dial type Cinncinatti here.

Gerard

I have a Thiel 159 and would have been interested in a 158 apart from this difference of spindle tooling. I still see occasional adverts for 158 collets in UK, but they are getting thin on the ground. I have not seen any standard designation for them apart from just 'collets for Thiel 158' but possibly they conform to some kind of DIN standard.

Like you I am very happy with my 159 and despite its age it still gets used a lot. It has 40 taper spindles of course which make buying tooling very simple. I occasionally make replacement parts for very old mill engines. The ability to handle fairly large parts (without the table sometimes) is a big advantage. You will probably have seen the standard Thiel advertisement photos where a 158 is machining a part on a large rotary table that dwarfs the machine. If not I will try to post it for you.

Yes with a bit of imagination, there are endless ways of workholding on those "Deckel-type" mills for sure. I think I know the photo you mentioned.

Can't say I've ever come across any Thiel collets or attachments in the British Isles in quite a few months of searching the web.

Collets aren't the end of the world, mind you additional original Thiel attachments (even THINNER on the ground!) are always nice if they come up.

Alas I imagine I'll be building my own rack milling attachment and slotting head..........already have a shaper but certain workpieces that are candidates for some internal splines etc are just plain easier and more rigid to toeclamp under a slotter than to do on the shaper. Also, you'll generally have abit more room for your indexing arrangements than on the small table of a shaper, although I do of course have ability to attach and tram outboard table extensions.

Those two tooling projects will be added to the "long-finger" list........but there are about forty six million other little pieces of shopmade tooling projects in the queue ahead of them LOL

Back