What's new
What's new

Deckel Doctor backround and practices

deckeldoctor

Stainless
Hello Guys,

Please indulge me this ramble.

By my joining this forum I have made some good friends and business owners I believe.

It was never my intention to get rich from any of you (especially you tight wade Home shop guys HAHA)

Some of you have given me some business since joining this forum and for that I thank you.

I must say that with the collective talent that is here we need to form our own group company there is not too much we could not do!!

I have serviced the Deckel product line for 23 years, I do not have all the answers but I think I have seen and experienced most problems. With my back round as a machinist and tool maker and ME and robotics, automation and assoc electronics I cover a lot of areas and it all relates or complements each other. I have had several of my engineering upgrades instituted by Deckel before the DMG regime.

It was my hope that since we all have a common interest in these machines and since 95% of my business is in the US and I am a US company that I have earned some respect by helping here and in other ways that you all would give me the chance to be your go to parts/service/sales guy. In my current business service is the key!

It should mean something that you can pick up a phone and get help when you need it regardless of who you are or your stature.

In some instances I do charge for phone consultation, and I have been told by many this should be the norm. This year so far fixed 15 machines by phone. But I feel that if you buy parts and on occasion a service call I will make the money there that I give away in the form of phone help. It has always been my creed to never send anyone away unhappy with something I may have been responsible for, and I want long-term customers. I do not price gouge I try to be fair about everything I do and have a happy long-term customer.

I have never had to advertise my business since I have been in business and my business is built on my name and reputation. I believe the word on the street is I am a pretty good guy and do quality work. As you all know bad word travels faster than good word (never could understand why that is though).

I have even gone to the extent to have some parts for Deckels manufactured here in the US by some of my customers and other sources.

Yes I know some times some of my prices are a little higher for the most part they are less than my competition. You have to realize almost ever since I got into this business I have maintained an inventory of 100k - 1million in parts. Currently at about 400K in inventory.

I have taken steps to be able to compete with FPS by becoming a US rep for them. The prices I quote are exactly the price they will quote to you. I have arranged a discount from them to allow me to operate this way.

Not to long ago I quoted parts for a PM groupie from FPS and he told me that he got better prices from singer. I intern got that quote from him and bet up on the guys from FPS. FPS will for me now match Singer prices.

Doing all of this is really a big PITA, but I do it to try to offer full service for what is a great product line. I think any profit I make as small as it is at times I truly earn by providing such great service. I think the many headaches that I have save you the end users much more when you can call me and say send me this part and then you forget about every thing it takes to supply you that item.

For 6 years now I have had my own office outside Munchen, since I have now made these contacts in Germany I am no thinking of maybe closing that office. My guy still is tracking down suppliers and we buy direct from the people who supply all of the current Deckel people, in trying to keep prices down. It does still allow me to buy new DMG machines and sell them here in the US and go around DMG America for this they are not so happy. I have tried for 16 years to be the US REP for Deckel and have been the only one left threw all of the 6 changes of representation that has happened here in the US.

I am doing everything I can to help you support your machines. Heidenhain control retrofits, currently developing FAGOR control for Deckel and another I hope for the home shop guys soon to be announced.
Servo Drive retrofit is available to replace Bosch Servo
That is what drove me to becoming a Kunzmann rep it is truly another great machine tool. It also is the BMW or Mercedes of the machine tools. I believe in representing a quality product and providing quality service for the product. The Kunzmann fits perfectly with me since it is very similar to Deckels and Mahos. I am already a Heidenhain rep and that is one off the controls Kunzmann offers. I have the backing from Kunzmann and Heidenhain to rep them. Kunzmann has not tied my hands as far as when I need a Heidenhain part they don't care where I get the part.

I specialize in European machine tools but I will service, retrofit, and rebuild, most any machine tool.

Best Regards
Deckeldoctor

Thanks for allowing my ramblings!!

DD, it always wonders me a bit you (and others)spend so much time to answer questions on this forum.I know when you have your own company you are always busy, there's always a job waiting.
A lot of members here are spending a lot of time
to answer questions or to give information.Perhaps that's what you do when you're suffer the Deckel-virus.

I learned a lot here just by reading the forum.
So: thanks!

I have found Don's sevice to be top notch. Had my x-axis scale rebuilt-- during which the rebuilder switched some wires around, causing some problems. Don really spent the time to help me out. I really appreciate Don's commitment to keeping these machines up and running. Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words guys.

I did not write the above so you all can stroke my ego.

It was written to let you all know what all I do to support the Deckel product line.

The people in Charlotte NC. are doing nothing to support the Deckel product line. Some major companies that purchased newer machines from them said they will never buy another because of poor product support.

Three of my major customers, one aircraft builder and 2 smaller companies curse the day the got invloved with new Deckels because of lack of support from NC.

And as you know they have no interest in the older machines.

That is why I am still and always have been here threw all the representation changes here in the US.

My customers that use these older machines on a daily basis for manufacturing, have told me had it not been for my service that they would have gotten rid of their machines. This is why I can still sell Deckels to them and others.

This is why I chose to Represent Kunzmann it is a very similar machine and I hope to refresh customers minds with a new line of thinking and be able to supply a great machine with very similar capabilities.

Regards
DD

Because this thread is already existing I will
go ahead and piggyback on it - I went back and
Don's web sites are apparently not up and
running yet - and I would like to see if I can
get a quote for some collets for an FP2 from
him.

If he would rather do this via e-mail he could
use the address:

jrr0 (at) us (dot) ibm (dot) com

where that's a zero in the address, not an 'oh'.

However I do believe in keeping as much stuff out
in the open as possible so if there is any
alternative contact information by all means
please reply to the forum.

Thanks much - Jim

Hello Jim

For now please use [email protected].

My web sites are under construction and so is my internet hookup,soon to be high speed this week.

They finally upgraded my service but still not the best it could be.

Sentner Machine Tool Service Inc. (23 years of service)
5859 Bluewater Road
Conway, South Carolina USA 29527

" Deckeldoctors" Sales/Parts/Service/Retrofits

Kunzmann Milling Machine Sales/Parts/Service North America

Heidenhain Distributor and Control Retrofitter

AEG Relay Distributor

Donald R Sentner Owner

Phone: 843 397 7607

Fax : 843 397 3770

Email: [email protected]

Web sites coming soon.

www.deckeldoctor.com
www.sentnermachinetoolservice.com
www.sentnermts.com
www.kunzmannusa.com

Regards
DD

Just a note in support of DD and his services....

Had a problem with my FP4NCD4, Prior to coming into town he allowed me to try out some of his stock boards that another customer of his had. On the word of a friend I had over $20K of electronics sitting in my shop ! (Thanks Diamondman).

When DD did get to my place, some time after his rear end accident, the problem was taken care of.

That was on a Fri, on the following Sat evening he was heading east, past my place, and called me to see if all was ok. He stopped by !!!! ( I had one of my own problems) again he fixed it.

Sure you have to pay for his services, but after 40yrs in this business I have never come across this type and quality of service. And to add to the equation, he is real easy to get along with.

I would not go elswhere for help, this is the best you can get.

Thanks DD and Diamondman.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the kind words.

Are you still doing the happy dance?

Hows that old crt since I adjusted it, is it still hanging in there?

Did you ever take a part to a CMM to check accuracies? How did it come out?

I'll be coming in your area in a couple of weeks to deliver a machine.

Please let me know if you need anything.

Perhaps we could have dinner and a pint or 2 !

Regards
DD

Not kind words, just the facts.
Yup still dancing with a good CRT.
Not the part you saw, just a little bigger.
Results from the CMM show "one time" positioning errors to be less than 0.0001"
Repeatability errors indicate better than 0.00007" (Same hole position,bored as a c'bore)
For those that may ask: Job ran at 70° checked at 68° after 24 hr temp adjust on a Zeiss CMM.
The job consumed best part of the Y axis, BCD was 18" for 23 bores. Yes I took a chance on this one job
but it paid off thanks to that little "tweak" you provided. Customer wanted 0.002" True Position, no MMC.
Contouring transitions are unoticeable with G64 running.

Nice Job! Dinner and a couple of beers, Anytime!

Steve

Dear Sir,

Ours is a charitable and educational Institution supporting rural poor youth of our area. We are situated in the southern most part of India.

We own a DECKEL Jig Grinding Machine Moldel LKS in which the variable frequency drive is missing. Can you please suggest us how the VFD can be replicated. We will be thankful if you could furnish the working principle of the VFD and motor ratings of the Jig Grinding Motors.
Thanking you,
YOurs faithfully,
Manager-Advanced Training Centre.
Art Industrial SChool, Nazareth
South India.

Hi sir
I have a deckel machine fp5tc with dialog controol. It have error that tc not in base position and something went wrong in atc pannel. And when i turn on my machine it doesnot changes the screen untill i remove a connector from its atc pannel or manualy press its contactor q201. I am working from a month to diagnose this but failed. Then i bypass x202 by putting jumpers on it machine on and changes display and axis moves. But i couldnot bypass atc. Can u help me to bypass atc from machine??
Plz help

Trailing error in deckel

Hi sir dd.
U r an angle for peoples like us. We read your posts and solve our machine problems with the help of Allah!

sir i have the deckel fp5tc with dialog controol. I finaly succeed to bypass atc.
Now i have problem with my c axis. As you know that machine is universal milling machine. I found belt broken of c axis i arranged it and fitted it. Now the c axis rotates very fast and genrates error
"Trailing error in axis too high
:c"
Plz guide me what should i do?
Thanx

Back