What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 Broken Rear Backlite Handwheel

Degull

Aluminum
I have a late 50's FP1 that requires a new rear Bakelite Handwheel. Can anyone tell me what it is called in German (in order to search eBay.de) or where I can buy one? Thanks.

Fernando

I have a late 50's FP1 that requires a new rear Bakelite Handwheel. Can anyone tell me what it is called in German (in order to search eBay.de) or where I can buy one? Thanks.
I'm curious...how did it get broken...."help, I've fallen and I can't get up" ??

That is it! Thank you.

Curious, why is the replacement wheel's diameter 105mm when the original is 180mm?

I was going to warn you about that. The replacements he sells are much smaller than the original and a lot less useful. Even the original could be larger. Explanation I got was some OSHA equivalent had restricted the size of a moving machine element that the operator could be exposed to.

I looked for a long time and never found a correct original wheel. I epoxied one back together and it's held up so far.

Sorry, I had not noticed that Singers was 105mm compared with the original 180. The originals turn up from time to time on Ebay (at least a few times per year) and sell for tens of Euros. So if you are patient you can certainly get an exact replacement for the broken one.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone is optimistic. They sure never turned up when I was looking. Make one out of aluminum and have it black anodized.

Other than the not being "original" ..don't see why the smaller wheel would not be just fine.....

Its not like you are moving lots of mass when using the wheel. Just used to jog the gear train to mesh gears....or am i missing something?..

And Singer seems to have 180mm wheels for sale made from aluminum...slightly more costly however...

Cheers Ross

PS: is this a good part for a 3D printer??
Maybe ask in our Additive Manufacturing Forum..... seems like you'd need a pretty expensive printer for the size aspect and material costs might be pretty high....also wonder if it would be hard enough...but not having kept up with that technology like I should, I could be wrong.

I needed one way before I knew of Singer on ebay and bought it from DMG in Charlotte. When it arrived it was the same one as the smaller one Singer offers, didn't like it but installed it and it works fine. I'm not 100% positive but had a feeling it is actually an original part on one of Deckels KF die sinking machines, I heard or read that the dividing head cover is the same as one used on a KF machine also?

I'm having a hard time imagining what scenario would happen to break one of these, other than shipping or moving the machine mishaps where something runs into it. Do they sometimes break just in normal useage ?

I'm having a hard time imagining what scenario would happen to break one of these, other than shipping or moving the machine mishaps where something runs into it. Do they sometimes break just in normal useage ?

It's a plastic part and the hub is weak. The hub has two 6mm (I think) locating pins 180 apart from each other plus the large hole through the center where the bolt goes. The whole hub is only 25 or 30mm in diameter and with these holes drilled into it there just isn't as much plastic left as you'd like. A wacking breaks the hub, the rest of the handwheel is pretty hard to damage. Still it does have to get hit or abused somehow, I don't think they just snap off in normal operation.

Other than the not being "original" ..don't see why the smaller wheel would not be just fine.....

Its not like you are moving lots of mass when using the wheel. Just used to jog the gear train to mesh gears....or am i missing something?..

And Singer seems to have 180mm wheels for sale made from aluminum...slightly more costly however...

Cheers Ross

Is there a spindle lock that I don't know about? I often use the handwheel to hold the spindle from rotating when I'm tightening or loosening some tool in the spindle. A smaller hand wheel means you'd always have to put the machine in the lowest gear and even then it would be difficult to hold.

Well barring other mods, just rolling the spindle gearbox into a low gear has enough resistance to allow tightening or loosening the draw bar.....
However on my FP2 (first gen) i fitted a mechanical brake that holds very well....On that machine i made a duplex lever setup where the rapid lever normally mounts....one lever is longer than the other.and that is the brake lever.
Rapid works as normal...also incorporated a micro switch in the lever that shuts the main motor off when i apply the brake.....makes for rapid starts /stops and easy tool changes...
Cheers Ross

I wondered the same thing and asked when I got the machine. Either the owner was oblivious (not likely) or too embarrassed to let the story out?

Back