What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 S/N 28564

quarkgluonplasma

Aluminum
As announced (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rtical-milling-head-issues-330663/index3.html), the machine finally arrived.

Feels like birthday and x-mas in one!

deckel-fp-1.jpg

Principally everything is ok,
runs in all gears,
as well as in all power feeds.
Backlash on all axes is well below a quarter turn.
Oil is everywhere were it should be.

So far, only disassembly and cleaning is on the agenda.

Will provide regular updates on progress with photos. These hopefully are of help to others sailing the same waters in the future.

Last edited:
the arrival

Thanks, Bruce and John, for the warm welcome, and, Klaus, for the Baujahr info.

It came along with a tool cabinet

tooling_1.JPG

including slotting head, tiltable table, dividing head with overarm, horizontal milling overarm with 5 arbors, bushings and shims, 3 internal turning heads, punch milling attachment,

tooling_2.JPG

complete collet set, mills, circular saws, end mill arbors and some other small stuff.

An Elesta DRO with Heidenhain glass rulers was also preinstalled and is working properly.

This all, including the machine :), and free shipping (150km), for 3 grand USD. Best, Stefan

This all, including the machine :), and free shipping (150km), for 3 grand USD.

Assuming that the base machine is in good shape (which seems likely, if it's oiled), and considering all of the accessories and extras, you got a great deal! One of the reasons that I bought my FP2 is that it came along with two cabinets of accessories and tooling. Together these weighed more than the machine itself.

Cheers,
Bruce

disassembly begins

Took off

- horizontal spindle
- x-axis table
- x-axis spindle
- saddle
- motor

IMG_20170331_122021.jpg

IMG_20170331_122046.jpg

IMG_20170331_122127_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20170331_122143_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20170331_131448.jpg

From all of these machine members the saddle/z-axis is most in need for cleaning/inspection.
Looks as if the z-axis was not used for quiet some time (manually and automatically). Generally, automatic feeds seem to have been static for a long period. Engaging feeds by the single lever mechanism is far from being a smooth experience. Every visible spot there is encrusted with doughy/solid remnants of a mixture of oxidized/polymerized oil, swarf, dust and dirt.

Last edited:
The good news is that it is usually difficult to wear a machine out if it is not being run....
As to large format photos...I don't use the embedding feature to post photos, but rather i store my photos on a site that hosts...In my case i use "Photobucket"
They provide free storage of photos (up to a point) the only down side is that they have advertising....
At any rate once the picture is at teh hosting site, then in your posts you simply supply the link to the exact photo you want to display....You need a header and a end statement before and after the link info...

More info here: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images-and-links/how-post-image-practical-machinist-108425

Cheers Ross

Dear Quark,

If you use a third-party site for your photos, I predict that at some time in the future, the linking of photos and text will break. IMO a far more reliable approach is to (a) upload your photos to an album on the PM web site and then (b) embed the BB (Bulletin Board) code associated with the photo. That gives nice large photos inline, which can be clicked on to display. It should also survive future upgrades and enhancements to this web site, so 20 years from now someone can still read your posts and view the photos in context.

Cheers,
Bruce

Dear Quark,

If you use a third-party site for your photos, I predict that at some time in the future, the linking of photos and text will break. IMO a far more reliable approach is to (a) upload your photos to an album on the PM web site and then (b) embed the BB (Bulletin Board) code associated with the photo. That gives nice large photos inline, which can be clicked on to display. It should also survive future upgrades and enhancements to this web site, so 20 years from now someone can still read your posts and view the photos in context.

Cheers,
Bruce

While I agree with what you say Bruce, PM scales images down by about 50% for me in most cases, and often makes the image much less useful.

It is the way to preserve the links though, although that has not proven 100% true in all cases and we've seen images disappear when software upgrades occur.

There's no perfect solution.

Dear Quark,

. It should also survive future upgrades and enhancements to this web site, so 20 years from now someone can still read your posts and view the photos in context.

Cheers,
Bruce

Man you have much more faith in the permanency of digital media than i ..My belief is that its all pretty temporary.
Cheers Ross

Man you have much more faith in the permanency of digital media than i ..My belief is that its all pretty temporary.
Cheers Ross

I share your sentiment... in a thousand years maybe all that will be left is bits of plastic and glass. At least they used to carve everything into stone :D

Hey all, many thanks for all the hints and links on posting pics. Will play a bit with the different options and see how things evolve.

...considering all of the accessories and extras, you got a great deal!

Yeah, I am also very, very happy. But please also consider that in the homeland of Perrin, Mikron, Christen, Hispano-Suiza, Aciera and Schaublin, valuation of Deckels gets relativized to the downside, especially compared to the german market. See for example

https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/buero...ersalfraesmaschine-deckel-fp3a/v/an870933202/

https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/handw...es/fraesmaschine-deckel-fp3-nc/v/an899985006/

or

https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/buero...hinen/fraesmaschine-cnc-deckel/v/an896482958/

Best,

Stefan

Last edited:
Stefan:
Great case study where one mans loss (or ignorance) is another man's gain ...in this case you are the beneficiary of a great deal on what looks like a nice machine .
Good move.

Cheers Ross

x-axis

IMG_20170410_103605.jpg

tried to drive nut with quickly made off shelf makeshift tool...

IMG_20170410_103722.jpg

...without success. So, had to make a better one...

IMG_20170410_104536.jpg

This did the trick

IMG_20170410_104550.jpg

The nut was stuck. Had to extend lever twice. Then, when it started moving all of a sudden, my hand slipped off...

IMG_20170410_104624.jpg

Now, I am puzzled over how to proceed with disassembly. Saw in bentley1930`s thread

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...s/replacing-fp-x-axis-slow-feed-gears-332680/

the x-axis detailed.

What would be the next step from here to get there?

Hi Stefan,

I have one (healed) broken finger, and scars on several other ones, but I can tell you how I got each one, and each one taught me something. Any time I have to pull or push, I think about what will happen if I slip, if the tool breaks, etc. In many cases, wearing a leather glove will keep you from tearing your skin or worse.

Thanks Bruce and Bill for these great documentations!

You're very welcome, I'm delighted that it's of use.

Cheers,
Bruce

x-axis nut

Hey all, despite checking existing threads and following Deckel instructions, I got trouble removing
the x-axis nut

IMG_20170411_172643.jpg

In principal it should be free to move...

and,

ballen wrote
...I have one (healed) broken finger...
Bruce, would love to know what was taught to you by that...

Best, Stefan

Last edited:

Back