What's new
What's new

Deckel fp2 help needed

volvo 140140

Aluminum
Hello. I guess these questions may have been answered before.but I can not really find what I'm looking for. Just got my deckel fp2 with the sk 40. However, I do not have much experience in milling. Hope someone would help me.

Question 1, do need too have a drive plate to mill. Is it used for all tools? If so, I can not understand how to use it when using collets.

Question 2.

Is it possible to use regular iso 40. If that's the case.
What do I need to do to make it fit?

Question 3 How big face mill can I use?

Best regards rasmus

Hello. I guess these questions may have been answered before.but I can not really find what I'm looking for. Just got my deckel fp2 with the sk 40. However, I do not have much experience in milling. Hope someone would help me.

Question 1, do need too have a drive plate to mill. Is it used for all tools? If so, I can not understand how to use it when using collets.

Question 2.

Is it possible to use regular iso 40. If that's the case.
What do I need to do to make it fit?

Question 3 How big face mill can I use?

Best regards rasmus
no.1, you don't have to use the ring lug adapter but it might be prudent for larger cutters. No 2. Yes, but you have to change the vertical drawbar and the horizontal drawbar stud. F. Singer has these in both types at reasonable costs. A different (thinner) ring lug adapter is desirable when you make this change as well.

As an aside, the horizontal drawbar stud can be very difficult to unscrew from the drawbar body. Singer techs tell me they end up removing part or all of the horizontal drawbar to unscrew that stud. Maybe I've been lucky but I have never had to do that...always managed to unscrew them in place.

no.1, you don't have to use the ring lug adapter but it might be prudent for larger cutters. No 2. Yes, but you have to change the vertical drawbar and the horizontal drawbar stud. F. Singer has these in both types at reasonable costs. A different (thinner) ring lug adapter is desirable when you make this change as well.

As an aside, the horizontal drawbar stud can be very difficult to unscrew from the drawbar body. Singer techs tell me they end up removing part or all of the horizontal drawbar to unscrew that stud. Maybe I've been lucky but I have never had to do that...always managed to unscrew them in place.

Hi thanks for quick answers. Ok then i know how it is with ring lug adapter. I'll get one then. Even what I need to change to work with standard 40 tool.

if you cut without a the ring lug adapter.Approximately how heavy cut can you take? If we say material is cold roll stel. and you use a face mill whit carbide inserts.

In terms of face mill, I mean what size is useful. Let's say that material is cold roll steel. It is with carbide inserts. Best regards rasmus

Thank you very much bruce for the links. Maybe you know a good place to order tools for my milling machine with sk40 with the right thread on. from Germany

Oh sorry. I forgot to write what thread it was. but yes S20X2 that's the right thread.

Perhaps you can answer this as well.

if you cut without a the ring lug adapter.Approximately how heavy cut can you take? If we say material is cold roll stel. and you use a face mill whit carbide inserts.

In terms of face mill, I mean what size is useful. Let's say that material is cold roll steel. It is with carbide inserts.

Best regards rasmus

Oh sorry. I forgot to write what thread it was. but yes S20X2 that's the right thread.

Best places to buy tooling inexpensively are (a) search German Ebay for "Deckel S20x2" (b) RC-Machines (RCM S.ar.l.) (c) Singer Werkzeugmaschine

If you cut without a the ring lug adapter. Approximately how heavy cut can you take?

First, I think that the correct term in English is "drive ring".

Second, I use a drive ring every time, for everything, even a drill chuck. I also clean the taper every time I put in a new tool, out of habit. Why? Because I want the spindle taper to stay as clean as possible. I also do not use tooling that does not have a clean taper, for the same reason.

This costs just a few seconds of time. In my opinion, it's cheap insurance, even though it might not be needed in most circumstances.

In terms of face mill, I mean what size is useful. Let's say that material is cold roll steel. It is with carbide inserts.

Best regards rasmus

I would never use a face mill without some kind of positive drive. Also, even with small end mills, the danger of slipping the taper is not with normal cutting forces, but if you crash the toolholder into something. Stuff happens. The grief associated with repairing a screwed up spindle taper is just not worth it. This is especially true for a Deckel.

I have a Criterion NMTB40 boring head shank that has no drive flange. Criterion may still sell it. In any event, I only use it with a tiny boring head, and I am still nervous using it.

okay. thanks i will order order the drive rings then. I agree with you that you should clean and not use a broken taper.

I have a set of deckel collets that I had intended to use. Should you have the drive ring with them? can not understand how to use drive ring when using collet?

FWIW, the horizontal drawbar stud is right hand thread but a very fine thread and therefore subject to getting screwed on pretty tight over the years. But I've always been able to insert the 10mm hex wrench normally used for the vertical quill (on newer Deckels anyway) in the drawbar end and rig some sort of stop for it to keep it from turning and then unscrew the horizontal stud with deep socket and an extension on the socket wrench....obviously turning it counterclockwise since it is right hand thread. Typically it will go from absolutely locked up to absolutely free, so when it first becomes unscrewed you will think you broke something ;)

ok then i know how to unload it. thanks so much. best regards :)

I have a question left which I would like to have answers to.

should you use drive ring when you're using deckel collets?

Should you use drive ring when you're using deckel collets?

I am confused by this question. If you are using SK40 collets that fit directly into the taper, then there is no way to use a drive ring. If you are using Deckel 20mm collets (type name U2 or 355E) then the collet holder/adaptor also does not take a drive ring.

FWIW, the idea with collets is that if something slips, it will be the tool in the collet and not the collet in the taper. I have not experienced either, but avoid using collets with high-torque tooling.

I am confused by this question. If you are using SK40 collets that fit directly into the taper, then there is no way to use a drive ring. If you are using Deckel 20mm collets (type name U2 or 355E) then the collet holder/adaptor also does not take a drive ring.

FWIW, the idea with collets is that if something slips, it will be the tool in the collet and not the collet in the taper. I have not experienced either, but avoid using collets with high-torque tooling.

This was exactly what I was thinking about. You can not use drive ring when using sk40, u2, or 355E collets. thought if there were any stuff i missed. There was someone who wrote that they used drive ring to all their tools could not really understand how they did it. But anyway now I know how it is:)

very grateful for all answers.:D

Back