What's new
What's new

Deckel gk21 HP, wiring and VFD

Briggs153

Plastic
Hey guys I’m new here and also new to machining all Together. I recently bought a deckel gk21. It’s 3 phase and I currently only have 220v in my shop. I was told I could just get a VFD to make It a 3phase to single phase. Also was Told to get a vfd with more amps then the motor puts out along with matching HP. There is not info about how much HP this motor has. What are your recommendations on this? All and any help is welcome. Thank you very much. Sorry don’t know how to add pics

3 phase 220v
Operating voltage 115v
Max operating current 2.4A
60 cycle (60hz?)

Google is your friend. There is a ton of info on the web. First off you do have enough info to calculate the horsepower all you need is volts, amps and rpm ... or you could do a web search.

If it is a two speed motor, most people just use the high speed windings and use the VFD to slow things down. You could also use a rotary phase converter which is pretty much plug and play as opposed to using a VFD, which will require some study and wiring to get things right. Rotaries have their own drawbacks, however.

Once again, Google is your friend. Read some write-ups from others who have done what you want to do. It's not that difficult once you wrap your brain around the fundamentals but without that understanding you won't understand any recommendations people might make.

T

Google is your friend. There is a ton of info on the web. First off you do have enough info to calculate the horsepower all you need is volts, amps and rpm ... or you could do a web search.

If it is a two speed motor, most people just use the high speed windings and use the VFD to slow things down. You could also use a rotary phase converter which is pretty much plug and play as opposed to using a VFD, which will require some study and wiring to get things right. Rotaries have their own drawbacks, however.

Once again, Google is your friend. Read some write-ups from others who have done what you want to do. It's not that difficult once you wrap your brain around the fundamentals but without that understanding you won't understand any recommendations people might make.

T
So my biggest issue is how do i find out if it’s a 2 speed motor? Is Hadley has any info on the motor but what i provided in the original post.

Iv done some research but it’s all Giberish to me lol. I’ll see what o can find

Suggest you post your question on the "Transformers,Phase Converters and VFD's" forum.
Your's is not a Deckel specific question but rather an electrical/motor/converter question.
There are smart folks here , but there is perhaps a better pool of electrical wizards there.....They will be able to easily point you in the proper direction and help with specific details.
Be sure to tell folks that the machine is fitted with a two speed motor (if indeed it is. The factory power switch should give you a good clue as to whether it is so fitted of not) .

Phase converters and VFD's both have their own specific requirements and issues. Its not a case of "best" but rather what works better for you, your abilities and situation.
Cheers Ross

(1) The motor will very likely have a nameplate. Take a clear well lit in focus photo of it so that all text is legible - it may need cleaning off.

(2) Where the wires go into the motor there is probably an easily removed terminal cover. Take it off and take clear well lit etc. photos from several angles of all the terminals and connected wires.

(3) Post all of the above, and a pic of the whole machine (helps people get enthused about helping you) on the phase converter forum as recommended by Ross. There'll be an FAQ somewhere on this forum about posting pics if you can't figure it out.

That should get you some useful replies.

Back