What's new
What's new

DMU-50 Evo Tool Change Recovery Procedure?

WallaceLau

Plastic
Hi folks,

New guy here! I am trying to bring a 2001 DMU-50 Evo online, last night during a tool change something doesn't sound right, and we hit the e-stop. Now I can't figure out how to get out of it. The two "flap" (rotating door) of the tool magazine is open, spindle is on top of tool pocket #2, and I can't get anything to move.

I believe there is a magic switch inside the electrical cabinet that, once flipped, turns on a hidden tool-changer control screen on the controller, that allows additional function such as manually override/close the flap door. Does any of that rings a bell? The controller is a Heindenhain Millplus running software version v500.

Thanks!!

Wallace

M77 didn't seems to do anything, and DMG America was of no help (3 days now no reply). But my dealer helped me out with the following info:

1. Go to the "IO" screen (one of the soft keys on the bottom)
2. Type in password 78900000 and then "Enter" (password will show up as "********")
3. Right side soft-key changes to diagnostic functions
4. Select Tool Changer key
5. Select Flap 1 Close
6. Key in "0" and then "Enter" to exit diagnostic screen
7. Back to chip-making

Cheers,

Wallace

On my DMU50V w Millplus v400, you flip the lower switch to the left, carefully move the tool out of the carousel area using jog control. Flip switch back and reset/home all of axis. Also, if you start getting errors in Z axis, it might be the driver section of the Z axis servo starting to go bad. I had this problem and bought a used driver module on ebay for 200$. Plugged in the old controller module and its been working since.

On my DMU50V w Millplus v400, you flip the lower switch to the left, carefully move the tool out of the carousel area using jog control. Flip switch back and reset/home all of axis. Also, if you start getting errors in Z axis, it might be the driver section of the Z axis servo starting to go bad. I had this problem and bought a used driver module on ebay for 200$. Plugged in the old controller module and its been working since.

I don't think we have a "lower switch" that allows us to override axis movement, what does it look like? Standard rocker switch, or was it a push button? We do have a switch inside the electrical cabinet that might do it (it allowed us to start up the machine after tripping a hardware limit switch), I just haven't tried it yet. In fact, there are some buttons that I have no idea what it does... Since the sticker over it has long since faded, and I can't really find a description in the manual.

By the way M77 is supposed to reset the tool changer, right? Would it re-initialize everything and re-calibrate positions, like when you first power-up the machine?

Wallace

In my cabinet there are 3 switches. Middle one allows parameter edits. Its a holdover from the Maho days, which is the development path that the Millplus comes out of. Ill try the m77 and the reset from the control above.

In my cabinet there are 3 switches. Middle one allows parameter edits. Its a holdover from the Maho days, which is the development path that the Millplus comes out of. Ill try the m77 and the reset from the control above.

We have a key that allows us to switch between 3 positions (operating modes)... could that be it? I want to say it let you do more depends on which position it's in.

W.

Looks like the Millplus V500 is quite different compared to the V400 series.
And while DMG has a fairly good service here in Europe, even for older machines, that seems not be the case in the US.

Looks like the Millplus V500 is quite different compared to the V400 series.
And while DMG has a fairly good service here in Europe, even for older machines, that seems not be the case in the US.

You are absolutely right about their service... the first time I contacted them I needed help with network connections (was hoping I can access NFS shares on our servers). They asked me for machine serial number, and then said they have no idea what I was talking about... next they asked me for screenshot, I sent them, and I never heard back from DMG again. Heindenhain US couldn't help either because of some "contractual agreements" with DMG. I waited several days and sent a reminder to DMG again, and the e-mail support guy seems annoyed and wrote "if this is urgent I suggest you hire service" (without answering my original questions). So I replied and ask where I can hire service, and that's the last I've heard from DMG.

I ended up emailing Heindenhain Netherlands, and my problem was solved in less than 2 hours. TWO HOURS. For something DMG couldn't figure out for days.

Yes I understand this is a 16 year old machine, however we bought a used Tormach prior to this that is almost as old, and the service I received from Tormach has been light-years ahead of them. Documentation was extremely good, fast reply to e-mail, answered every single questions I ever had, and have spare-parts in-stock. In contrast, if this forum doesn't exist and I am not getting pointers from you guys, I'd pretty much be on-my-own regarding the DMU-50.

I understand DMGs are far more complicated machines, and supporting many years of changes are difficult. But it is precisely of those complexity we needed the support, because we need help figuring them out. This is why we pay $$$$$ from well-reputable machine builders. Judging from these experiences, when we are ready for more machines I doubt we will consider DMG again. And that's sad because they do make good stuff... Sign.

Wallace

Back