What's new
What's new

DMU-50 Probe Help! Also tool change problems...

WallaceLau

Plastic
Guys,

Sorry I need more help!! Last week I dug the probe (MP700) out, which came with the machine, and after reading the manual back-and-forth I could not figure out what I was doing wrong:

Every time we initiate the G45 or G46 function, the probe LED turns green, flashes red once, and then the control throws an error "I66 Measuring Probe Switched Off". None of the axis moved during such.

- I changed the battery.
- M27 command will turn the probe on no problem (green light on probe LED).
- running M27 before G45/G46 results int he same error.
- Tried many different combinations on G45/46, including the exact example from the manual.

We found some programs in the machine labeled "Probe Calibration" and "Parts Zeroing" and for S&G I ran those programs as-is, and I am either getting the same error, or another one that says "G function or G141 not allowed".

I probably did something stupid or missed a step... can anyone shed a light what's going on?

Also, I noticed if we perform a tool change at anything more than 20% speed, when the spindle come down to grab the new tool it will "pop" the tool off the "clamp" (and drop it straight to the floor). Have anyone seen this?

Thanks in advance!!

Wallace

So one problem leads to another. Remember I said at higher speed the tool will get pushed off the pocket and fall to the ground? Well turns out it doesn't ONLY happen at high feed rate. The machine popped ourprobe off the tool holder at turtle speed and broke it. Renishaw said it's not repairable and we have to buy a new OMP-600 ($3k+).

And since this is a DMG, the manufacturer clearly has no interest to offer any help.

Before I pay $3,300 for another probe (just to drop it to the floor again), I need to fix the tool change issue... I did some video analysis and this is what's happening:

Does it look like something is catching the pull-stud? If not what else could the spindle be smashing against?

Wallace

I know this is a very old post but it is worth to post the solution for anyone with similar problems.
My machine (DMU50Evo 2000, with V400 Millplus) had similar problems. The machine uses macros for the positioning and move of the axis during a tool change. The macros for my machine with the double chain type tool changer are inside OEM folder 9980052.MM, 9980053.MM, 9980054.MM, those macros read the machine constants 3148,3246,3345 witch is the x,y,z absolute machine coordinates for the tool position for the right tool changer and 3160,3247,3346 for the left tool changer. This coordinate system is not the G53, the G53 is offset to this coordinate system with the machine constants 3114,3214,3314,3414,3514 (x,y,z,c,b).
You will have to change the 3148,3246 and 3160,3247 to correct the alignment of the spindle over the tools and 3345,3346 for the Z of the tools.
The tool changer has some slope in all directions so the spindle is not exerting any destructive force in the tool changer. Before making any change to those MC you have to make sure that no debris or chips in the chain or other mechanical issue causes the misalignment.
Take you time, turn the rapids really low, and double check the numbers and ensure that the machine has gone to the new coordinates by looking to the axis info screen, and remember any mistake to the machine constants can crash your machine really bad.
John

Back