What's new
What's new

Error 38 on FP2NC with Dialog 4

torleifj

Cast Iron
Hi.

My FP2NC won't to start, it reports Error 38. Should be a software error on the NCC90 card. Did the EEPROM erase itself, or could it be something else?

Any ideas?

Regards,

Torleif.

I can add that on the NPP90 the LED's are indicating a communication problem between the console and the NPP. Does anyone where the communication link wires are located?

I had a problem on my fp42nc D3 where the machine would not initiate serial communication "E" and "S" leds until it warmed up for a while. I ended up checking the 5 volt test point on the NSV90 board and it was at 4.5 volts at cold start and drifted up to 4.7, at which point the control would initiate serial comm by itself and run. i adjusted potentiometer # R25, (thats the one that controls the power supply IC output), to get 5 volts at start. It goes to 5.068 after a couple hours but no more serial comm problems. I think theres some drift from component aging like maybe a comparator inside the IC. In any case it works normally since I did that. You might want to check the voltage there.

Thanks mark, will do. The leds are on though. And it behaves differently if I unplug the communications cable. In that case it will not initiate the concole and display the error code.

I noticed that the voltage across the battery pack on NSV90 is few milliVolts. Is that critical for the operation?

To answer my own question: Yes, the battery pack is critical to the operation. The error message could probably be improved ("38=NPP90 software error). Anyway, it is up and running again.

Thanks Mark for participating.

Best regards,

Torleif.

I noticed that the voltage across the battery pack on NSV90 is few milliVolts. Is that critical for the operation?

I would love for some smart person to tell me what this battery does and why it is needed.....
Have had my FP4NC since 1993 and i have never changed that battery. My machine seems to run just fine...I do however keep the main power on all the time.

Cheers Ross

I have never had any problems with it either, but it seems to have shorted from one day to the other. The Deckel may have worked if I had just removed it. I happened to have 3 suitable cells in stock and could just build a pack. So I did, just to rule that issue out...

Regards, Torleif.

Ill ask one of my EE buddies what it does. I do know that there is a 2 position dip switch that will disable the battery on that board. Also, FWIW, on my FP41NC, the battery in the control console, on the NSP54 card which is normally a saft NiCD was replaced by a TL-5242/W non rechargeable LiON battery. Some wires were also soldered across the board, presumably to disable the charging circuit. Worked fine.

Hello ...
I have the same problem now, Error 38 generated, but i didn't find the NPP90 card.
Only the cards shown in the picture.
Can you advise.

Tell us more?
The NPP90 board is located in the large cabinet inside the clear plastic enclosure...(PC2)
If your machine is earlier, it is possible that it has a PC 1 setup in which case the battery would be located on the NPP80 board, also
located in the large cabinet.
Cheers Ross

Back