Fehlmann Picomax 50 photos - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I honestly don't know...I wonder if it had ball bearings in the quill sleeve somehow...I probably had a parts book back then but never bothered to look at the breakdown. I could buy this same machine back as the guy I sold it to has never used it....but he wants what he paid and he paid too much ! He has probably 10,000 sq ft of machines in storage he never uses, but won't sell either...a hoarder...
    Well some do believe the idea that he who dies with the most toys wins...I am sure his kids will be thrilled.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sold the Picomax 50 about 8 years ago.....the new owner never used it...never even connected it to power.

So last week he finally is in "de-hoard" mode and I bought it back ! Now just a matter of cleaning my box truck out and go pick it up. Of course I actually need it like a hole in the head, but it was just so pleasant to use I can't resist getting it back.

3. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sold the Picomax 50 about 8 years ago.....the new owner never used it...never even connected it to power.

So last week he finally is in "de-hoard" mode and I bought it back ! Now just a matter of cleaning my box truck out and go pick it up. Of course I actually need it like a hole in the head, but it was just so pleasant to use I can't resist getting it back.
    So if he is in de-hoard mode where is the for sale post and photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    So if he is in de-hoard mode where is the for sale post and photos?
    He's not the type to actively try and sell machines, but rather hire someone like me to broker them for him. Not that he couldn't sell them himself but he's just too busy to deal with it.

In fact he has a metal building full of other machines he wants me to list for sale now that the warehouse lease is coming up for renewal, but having been there already years ago I don't recall anything else all that interesting....mostly older CNC machines.....some of which are probably old enough to be scrap at this point. But I was in a hurry back then, and the place was kinda dark.... so maybe there are some gems I missed that I will see when I pick up the Fehlmann.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what year is it? mine is a 1977.

what do these drills go for over there, in original, good working condition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    what year is it? mine is a 1977.

what do these drills go for over there, in original, good working condition?
    I think this one is 1982 or so. Does yours have the hand spoke push button power feed option ? As to what they go for here, can't answer that as it is entirely possible this is the only Picomax 50 in this country. In decades of paying attention to such things this is the only Picomax 50 I have ever seen for sale. There have been a few of the smaller Picomax models, but never a 50 size one.

For a meaningless but slightly humorous idea of pricing on this one, I paid $1,500 for it at a well attended auction (at the USA location of a German based medical device manufacturer) done by Asset Sales (who normally get's top dollar for machinery), sold it for $15,000 and bought it back for $7,500. I suspect everyone (except me) at the original auction just thought it was a fancy looking mill drill. And considering Taiwanese mill drills sold for only $1200 back then brand new I was a little surprised it went as high as $1,500. If someone other than Asset Sales was doing the auction it might have sold for 500 bucks !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ha, i paied exactly the same amount for mine three years ago ($ was a little higher then), but frankly i regret the purchase, although it was a good price, because the downfeed didnt work and i was able to have it fixed for under $ 300 (fehlmann is next door). mine is exactly like on the picture, except it doesnt look so nice and has no dro. i have to say, though, that one of the er25 holders has about 0.5 micron runout in the taper.

edit: $7500 that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you regret in your purchase Dian ?

I have a P18S, wich is a baby P50, and I love it .

When I bought it, I was convinced I'd play with it for a while and would resell it pretty quickly.
    At first it was just to give it a try, but in the end, I find the machine a very valuable addition to the shop (next to a "real" milling machine, that is).

I think a DRO mated with a touch probe are absolutely mandatory to take full advantage of the spindle tooling quick-change system, wich is definitely a highlight of manual Fehlmanns.
    I put a Heidenhain 780 with a KT130 probe on mine, and it really changed the machine.
    Probably like such a kit would transform any purely manual machine, but even much more in the case of the P18, due to the rapidity of spindle tooling installation/removal.

If ever an opportunity arises, I'll swap it for a P50 wich seems to cure most of the P18 shortcomings.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Picomax owners, if you ever go to repaint your machine, would you please do me a favour and yourselves? Do away with that reseda green. Anthracite, night blue, claret red, lemon yellow, everything but not green. It drives me mad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    mine is exactly like on the picture, except it doesnt look so nice and has no dro. i have to say, though, that one of the er25 holders has about 0.5 micron runout in the taper.
    Correction, mine is 1986, not '82. For my curiosity, since yours has no DRO, are the X table and Y slide already milled out to receive Heidenhain scales hidden behind steel covers that blend into the table/slide surfaces.... or would you have to mount the scales in the usual external manner ?

Mine does not have the special rotary encoder (and machine specific hardware to secure it in place) needed for Z readout, but 8 years ago the price for one was surprisingly reasonable from Fehlmann...but now, who knows...they may not even have any left in stock.

Obviously an external straight scale could be rigged up for Z display but the original rotary type would be a much "neater" installation. (would probably require an ND780 display that is capable of dealing with rotary signal input.....but I have two extra ND780's already.... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Given the choice, would you prefer a scale on the quill or on the column ?
    As for me, not sure....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TNB View Post
    Given the choice, would you prefer a scale on the quill or on the column ?
    As for me, not sure....
    Since it's been over 8 years since I operated the machine I am not sure... but I'm thinking the head up/down is not really "fine tunable" on the P50...all happens via power feed for gross adjustments, but there are are series of adjustable dogs to stop travel at various locations. If that be the case I'd definitely prefer an encoder on the quill.

Just now looked at old emails and in 2009 the quill encoder 'kit' was about 800 USD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now the "ultimate" kit (I know you're fond of the "ultimate" concept, whatever we're talking about ) would be a set of "compound scales" mated to a DRO that would automatically take in account the travel of the head *and* quill.

I seem to recall this is something the ND780 is capable of.
    Read it somewhere in the manual, about lathes and the compound slide....

15. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Congrats for the re-acquisition

Since it's been over 8 years since I operated the machine I am not sure... but I'm thinking the head up/down is not really "fine tunable" on the P50...all happens via power feed for gross adjustments, but there are are series of adjustable dogs to stop travel at various locations. If that be the case I'd definitely prefer an encoder on the quill.

Just now looked at old emails and in 2009 the quill encoder 'kit' was about 800 USD.
    That is a beauty. I coveted that machine when you first had it and do so now! Sadly, I’m still a ways away from having the scratch to acquire it (presuming it is for sale at a later date). Guess it will have to stay on my dream shop list.
    Jack

17. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Smeeton View Post
    That is a beauty. I coveted that machine when you first had it and do so now! Sadly, I’m still a ways away from having the scratch to acquire it (presuming it is for sale at a later date). Guess it will have to stay on my dream shop list.
    Jack
    Hope the following is not too frustrating, but I can't help mentioning, according to Mapquest, the auction where I first bought it was only 18 miles away from your town !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I figured that out. Aargh! Did not know about it, unfortunately. I don’tkeep up with auctions like I should.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dian.....could you do me a favor and look at your P50 and let me know what size wrench (s) will I need to remove the column and head ? My box truck opening height is only 80", which is not high enough to receive the machine without removing the column. Can't remember now how I did that when I first bought it..... I presume four bolts holding down the column casting plus removing hydraulic lines and a few wires, yes ? Is the wiring harness plug in or lots of separate wires to remove ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not just lay it down....
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Why not just lay it down....
    Cheers Ross
    I vaguely recall wanting to do exactly that when I bought it but seems like there was something on the backside that made that more trouble than just removing the column. Note it has a huge forged eyebolt to lift the column with, so that part is easy enough with a forklift and strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i regret the purchase because the machine is not so great as one might assume and there are more usefull alternatives for that kind of money. except its true, everybody that sees it is going "wow" and treats me with much more respect. i think i will start a "rant" about it it my thread from a while ago: picomax 50

there is no provision for a dro as far as i can make aout. a rotary encoder? would you trust it? i would rather not, i view of the fact how lousy even straight scales can perform in z. the machine has a fine adjustment for the quill grad. in 1/10 mm on the left (front view), see picts. in thread above and a weird fine adjustment of the head on the right. the silver dial grad. in mm is just rotating, but you can lower the head with the smaller black knob. it has no graduations and one turn is 1.25 mm. milacron, i wonder what the black cylinder is on the left of your machine that im missing (behind the lamp). you, on the other hand, seem to be missing the grease knob tha is on one of the cover plates on mine as well as the grease fitting nex to it it. so there are some differences between the years.

80" is 203 cm. my machine is 198 cm without feet (+/- 5mm accounting for irreg. in the floor). fehlmann specifies 238 cm in the manual (thats with the feet), so maybe i have a shorter version somehow? my pallet jack is 8 cm and i got it in through a 209 cm door (taking it off the pallet). so maybe if you can bent the roof up a little in the middle you get it in? anyways, there are three m12 screws (10mm hex or 19mm wrench), a big, round plug that should come out through the sheetmetal in the back and the coolant hose to disonnect (the latter being the hardest, probably), so looks pretty easy. hopefully i didnt miss anything.

milacron, for how much would you consider parting with one of the nd780s?