Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    dian.....could you do me a favor and look at your P50 and let me know what size wrench (s) will I need to remove the column and head ? My box truck opening height is only 80", which is not high enough to receive the machine without removing the column.
    The Penske rental I brought to your place for the French gal had an 8-foot tall door opening.
    Rentals Unlimited has 'em cheaper, same opening, for a lot less. Durham NC runs, etc. Not all my go-fetch have called for parachuting in by one-way air and renting a one-way box. Only your place, Pensacola, FL,, Lexington, KY.

Might be less hassle to leave your own box truck at home. Especially if not having to mess with tear-down and put-back makes it a faster load, shorter time-frame out and back, and less hassle once home.

2CW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    i wonder what the black cylinder is on the left of your machine that im missing (behind the lamp).
    That is a hydraulic cylinder that automatically disengages when one presses the up or down head button and automatically re engages when the head stops on the column. It is pushes a wedge shaped block that matches a deep wedge milled (or ground ?) into the solid steel column....thus retaining head to column lateral position within .001"(at the spindle) or better at all heights, plus absolutely locks the head to the column for more rigidity.

So now you have me curious, how is *your* P50 head secured to the column ??

As to the ND780, I dunno...how much do like new ones sell for ? One of them actually is brand new, never used, still in original box....the other is not new but looks new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    T
    Might be less hassle to leave your own box truck at home. Especially if not having to mess with tear-down and put-back makes it a faster load, shorter time-frame out and back, and less hassle once home.

2CW
    A possibility I suppose but my box has eTrack and way better hold down possibilities....plus heavy duty shoring bars that fit in the eTrack. I don't recall the column/head removal being all that much trouble when I bought it...I just remember being surprised it wouldn't fit as is, since I'd had a Bridgeport Series 2 in there with no trouble at all....but of course the difference is the Bridgeport head will tilt to make it shorter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think i will start a "rant" about it it my thread from a while ago: picomax 50
    Please do so !
    I would love to hear more about a machine I'm interested in, even/especially its downsides.

I really do think that the P18S should NOT be considered as a real milling machine. It is not, and it may be the same limitation you faced with the P50.
    But within its enveloppe, the machine is well worth the place it takes in a shop, particularly with a DRO and probe.
    Small quick simple jobs is where it shines (as long as stock is not too tough) so this is the direction you must aim at, it if you want to fully appreciate it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A possibility I suppose but my box has eTrack and way better hold down possibilities....plus heavy duty shoring bars that fit in the eTrack.
    Yours is not the average one, no. Even so, perhaps not as much "better" as first appears. "Box" trucks are notoriously short of strength where needed and/or tie downs that have more than "looks good, feels good" survivability. E=-track is handy, but hardly more than a joke, military cargo carrier, off road or no road when need be far the higher standard.

You may recall that I shifted the HBX forward about 24" after we finished with that neat short-fork PJ. That was done with the air brakes, of course.

I don't mean to challenge the conventional wisdom - you've moved a lot of machines. Other PM viewers, mabbe not so many...

What I don't think you saw - nor Adam Booth on the thousand-mile-home go-fetch for the 5200+ avoir Quartet mill - was what I do to an ignorant box truck in the far corner of a Home Depot or Lowes lumberyard before it hits the long road home.

Dave C. would know, because in my decrepit state I paid him to do it for me on the AB5/S haul, Lexington, KY, Dulles, VA. Dave even improved on the technique, so I learned new trick or three from him.

Basically, the machine-tool is wedged and "rubberized" so WHEN, not IF, its own mass is stressed towards shifting the reaction increases friction, rather than diminish it. Fasteners are involved. Boxes of them.

The only lateral strength a box truck has - and VERY damned little of it - is right at the floor line where its sidewalls attach. Nothing above that is more than household bedding stress worth, rails or E-track notwithstanding.

So.. it hits the road looking as if a time machine had materialized the machine tool right into the midst of the rafters of a hip-roofed church! That structure ends at the floorline, long members distributing the spread-out stresses full-length along the joinings.

Building that structure is not as slow nor tedious as it sounds. The wood is all sacrificial, never pressure treated. "Big Box" gives one "free" cut per length or panel, a few more cuts, their saw, in-store, are dirt-cheap. I have a Timberline woodstove for whatever does not get re-purposed here, and most of it does.

So long as one has one decent cordless saw (M12 Hackzall) and deck-screw driver, it goes fast enough.

As I cannot fly in with those tools, these trips are where I buy my NEW hand tools as well as my OLD Iron!

But it works well.

One-way bookings get the 26-foot box from Penske. Shorter ones are handier, yes... but..the upside of the proper "genuine truck"' size is great airbrakes, superb mirrors, driver adjustable air seat and air suspension, and a wheelbase long and stable with no "freeway hop". Those get right around 10 MPG of #2 diesel @ 55 MPH. Less at 75 MPH, but it is comfortable in that range when need be.

IIRC, rental is a 3-day minimum window on the "one way", miles not a factor, just DIY fuel, so it is rare to need even an extra day, let alone the whole week.

Trip as short as I think this one is off Dogpatch by the Sea, I would do the day-rate + per-mile of an RU or Sunbelt and use their uncovered stakeside or the scarcer dropside flatbed. Those have great hold-down provision, just no inherent rain protection.

Double-tarping, bungee cord - you got that teeshirt by the clothes-hampers full arredy, 'nuf said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my head is secured to the column manually by the lever on the right, the 16mm v-groove being on the left, where your cylinder is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my head is secured to the column manually by the lever on the right, the 16mm v-groove being on the left, where your cylinder is.
    Manually ??? Oh, the tedium.....see, that's why you don't like your P50 and I like mine. .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manually ??? Oh, the tedium.....see, that's why you don't like your P50 and I like mine. .
    Might have trouble gripping an all-manual 46 oz. "Model 50" lent to yah - I'm an XXL glove-size.

But check your email. Or Jessica's traffic.

Phone call or two is probably more than enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Picked up the P50 yesterday.....easy column removal....as I suspected the entire wiring harness was just one large plug..otherwise, disconnect two small hydraulic lines, unbolt the base and lift it off (via forklift and small chain) with the big eyebolt at the top of the column...balanced perfectly.... balanced so perfectly in fact makes me wonder if Fehlmann didn't design it that way on purpose for even wear on the head casting hole over decades of use....or more likely any head weight imbalance is simply overcome by the weight of the solid steel column.

Of course it didn't occur to me to take any pictures of the process

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL!

Yah well.."NOT taking pictures" seems to be a major contributor to not hurting yerself or damaging the vehicle or the load. "Focus" on a priority rather than a camera-scene sort of thing?

The Picomax will be more presentable in its new home anyway.

On-edit: There's space available on the website, no? That French gal eloped quite a while ago to MY place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Won't make any difference as this is the only P50 on this side of the pond..unlikely anyone else will ever be faced with this particular rigging quandary...
    Glad it went well....Some have the gift! If that were my task you can bet it would have migrated into a full day sucker...
    Cheers Ross

12. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Soooo Milacron, how does it feel to have your baby home again ?

14. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TNB View Post
    Soooo Milacron, how does it feel to have your baby home again ?
    Might we guess "less lonesome"?

A reaction to an "empty nest" syndrome after Schaublin's and Hard-dingies reach maturity, find themselves a Day-Job and leave home?