What's new
What's new

First generation FP3, is horizontal quill spoke supposed to be easily removeable ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Or is it supposed to be permanently attached via two set screws ? I ask as the set screws are seized on mine and I wondered if it could otherwise be removed and used with the vertical head 12mm square ? However, every photo I see of a first generation FP3 shows the horizontal spokes in place and a 12mm square wrench used for the vertical quill, so I suspect the horizontal spokes are meant to stay in place....but still I wonder what one would see once it was pulled off....a 12mm square or something else entirely ?

Having rambled on about that, is anyone here aware of a small 3 or 4 spoke handwheel with a 12mm square mount ? That would seem more pleasant to operate than the simple 12mm square wrench that it came with. And yes, yes....I could make one....but got better things to do than that.....plus probably no one but me would care, and I want to sell the machine anyway.

Last edited:
Not sure about any set screws....On my first gen FP3 the horizontal quill handle is attached via through taper pin....looks quite original and the shaft end appears to be
round...not square.
In my case the handle is there, "semi permanent."...Could be removed, but don't see any reason one would want to remove it.

Parts book clearly shows the shaft end as round and cross drilled.
The handle ,shown on another page, is shown fitted with a taper pin.

Cheers Ross

As to a more convenient handle for the vertical quill...Although its not really an answer to your question...
It is pretty clear to me that Deckel built the vertical quill feed the way they did to "discourage" the use of the quill like a drilling machine...

Their intent was for positioning and "occasional" use....hence the crappy setup for feeding it. That quill on the manual machines is really not well lubricated.....there is little oil up there unlike a
Bridgeport for example which actually has an oil cup to lube the quill ..

Not familiar with any small four spoke wheel having a square center mounting...seems that would be pretty rare. Might be some machine maker that had one, but as an after market part think any of the usual
suppliers would have either no center hole or a round one to make the handle somewhat "universal".
Cheers Ross

Having rambled on about that,
..much in the same way as the hex-key operated Deckel-ish thingie that looked for all the world like a 1960's "Proto" plastic screwdriver handle mated with an ell-shaped (Metric) Allen wrench, vs wished-for small swappable spoked wheel hex stub shaft... and where THAT eventually wandered-off to?

.. is anyone here aware of a small 3 or 4 spoke handwheel with a 12mm square mount ? That would seem more pleasant to operate than the simple 12mm square wrench that it came with. And yes, yes....I could make one....but got better things to do than that.....plus probably no one but me would care, and I want to sell the machine anyway.

OK, this one is square, not hex, but still...

Deja vu all over again?

These lever-handle thingies aren't perchance migrating to the bridge of a Viking to replace spoked wheels are they?
"Real Mariners steer with a TILLER!"

:D

Back