What's new
What's new

FP High Speed Head Spindle Type ?

adrian

Cast Iron
This FP head has come up for sale advertised as a SK40 taper, but it's missing the drive dogs.
Curious as to what taper it is, clearly it's way too big to be MK4.

Hopefully someone can identify it.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• deckel head.jpg
    deckel head.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Hi Erik

It's difficult to see, it looks like a taper but may be not.
In the enclosed photo you can see the draw bar nut which looks square and Deckel like, so it's got some kind of spindle assembly.

Originally I thought it's been converted from an old MK4 type.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• Head-2.JPG
    Head-2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 102
Agreed it doesn't look like a genuine Deckel accessory to me but may work perfectly for its intended use. First thing I noticed is the attaching arm looks shorter than the Deckel head and the opening in the bottom is completely different. Second thing and it was mentioned, no cutouts for the drive ring. Not using a drive ring on the high speed head is likely a non issue since they are more geared towards single lip cutters and lighter cuts (that's the only reason I keep my long 20MM collets is for that use).
If it fits the Deckel dove tail and has quality bearings it may be a bargain if priced right? Keep is mind that with the shorter attachment arm it won't have all the adjustment that the real deal will have.
Dan

Hi Dan

I agree it's a bit of an enigma.

As you say the support arm looks short and the underside is totally un Deckel like in both shape, end stop and machining quality.
I also noticed the quill feed shaft looks wrong with no graduation dial.

I just realised the support arm dovetail runs the full length of the support. There is no cutaway section to drop the head over the fixed accessory drive gear, it cannot slide onto the machine without hitting this gear wheel and will need modification.

So my original question is somewhat academic and I wonder what it's from, most odd.

Ciao Adrian.

Last edited:

Back