What's new
What's new

FP2 DRO Mounting Photos

AlfaGTA

Diamond
This was mentioned within the FP1 DRO posting...Thought should open a new thread so as not to hijack the original post...

Some shots of the setup i used on my first gen FP2.
"X" axis slide was removed as was the vertical slide.
A channel was milled into the bottom of the "X" slide to allow the standard Heidenhain linear scale to "nest" so as to reduce the height of the
installed scale.....

Note the offset to move the scale as far away from the operators side of the slide as practical....this is done to keep the scale from crossing above the elevating hand wheel for the "Z".

DSC01765_zpste4fnuul.jpg

The read head is installed using a parallel distance block off a pocket milled into the vertical slide casting..... The two spot faced threaded hole on the same casting are from a previous life.

DSC01767_zpsdqzr4vru.jpg

DSC01771_zpsbijdyuxw.jpg

The end brackets are milled from steel and sit on the original slide surface....They are made in the form of an "L" With the mounting screws in from the rear...giving the rear of the scale minimum thichness
so as not to interfere with the original trip stops which remain intact behind the scale...

Sorry about the blurry photos.....

DSC01772_zps4qusohgy.jpg

DSC01770_zps1tcm0zmg.jpg

Bit more to follow.....
Cheers Ross

Some additional shots:
Additional shot of the read head mounting.....

DSC01773_zps8fa7lutu.jpg

A shot of the installed height of the scale....
DSC01774_zpsluphv4te.jpg

Just to be complete, some shots of the remaining axis fit up.....
Herer is the "Y" setup.
Mounted where the gauge block is normally used...did not think i needed this feature once the DRO was fitted......

DSC01782_zpsnpey2qbr.jpg

DSC01783_zpsdlkaccqj.jpg

Note the cable run from the read head into the machine...Its exit is at the opposite side of the machine just below the trip stops for the "Y"

And the "Z".....Mounted on the factory "T" slot......

DSC01784_zpsb4n92prp.jpg

And finally a close up of the "Z" axis mounting bracket...set into a fitted pocket milled into the gib keeper...Note the clearance in the base for one of the keeper mounting bolts...

DSC01785_zpsqkl8mh4g.jpg

My philosophy in mounting an accessory or even modifying a machine (this FP2 Has a mechanical spindle brake that i added) Is that its fine so long as you do the work in a clean and machine like fashon...
like the factory if possible....

Cheers Ross

Ross,

Thanks for sharing. Here are the photos showing the Heidenhain mounting on my 1964 FP2. This appears to be an "original" factory mounting done in the 1980s, because I have seen a number of other machines of similar vintage with the same hardware. Further evidence that this was a coordinated Deckel/Heidenhain install is that the mounting hardware is all blued steel with fiduciary dowel pins and the covers have grey hammertone point that matches the Deckel paint perfectly.

The display (Heidenhain 753B) is on the operators side:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The X axis (LS803, 520mm) scale and cover are installed behind the plane of the vertical table. This is important to do, because otherwise, you will block potential setups on the vertical table.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Y axis (LS803, 220mm) is on the same side as the stops; I often see it on the other side. It does not block the functionality of the stops but impedes access for setting them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Z axis (LS803, 420mm) is the clumsiest, because it partly blocks access to the lock lever for Z:

attachment.php

These photos and other similar ones can be found in my public album here.

A long and detailed post about repairing my DRO and the scales is here.

Cheers,
Bruce

AlfaGTA;2986947The end brackets are milled from steel and sit on the original slide surface....They are made in the form of an "L" With the mounting screws in from the rear...giving the rear of the scale minimum thichness so as not to interfere with the original trip stops which remain intact behind the scale... Sorry about the blurry photos..... [IMG said:
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s448/AlfaGTA105/Assorted%20Deckel/FP2%20DRO/DSC01772_zps4qusohgy.jpg[/IMG]

DSC01770_zps1tcm0zmg.jpg

Bit more to follow.....
Cheers Ross

This is exactly what I was trying to describe on my FP1, when you mentioned yours. However, I hadn't decided on any type of mounting system and seeing your little ends gives me a great idea. Thanks for posting that.

Cheers,
Alan

Back