What's new
What's new

Gearbox shaft lubricating, Y ways wear.

jeroen

Plastic
Good day All,

I've bought a Deckel FP3A which is converted to cnc by the previous owner. He used it to make a start with his machine shop and was looking for something bigger w/ ATC. The machine had a rattle when running above 1000 rpm or so so I decided to take it apart. As far as I know now this rattle came from a gearbox sprocket (2001 30 377 in the attached image) which has a slidebearing in it what was worn out +0.6mm.

As I was assembling the gearbox I couldn't find any hints about how the sprocket i.e. slide bearing will be lubricated... A bit frightened to close up the machine as it was prior to replacing the bearing without knowing how this will be lubricated I'm posting this question here.
Without proper lubing the bearing will ware out fast. Were possible I want to improve the lubricating to be ahead of recurrence of the issue.

A second question mark for me is how much wear is a lot on the Y ways? When taking of the Y ram it became visible that the scraping marks on the outer ends of the ways where worn down almost to the point there is no scraping marks visible anymore. See attachment #3.I didn't perform any accuracy checks prior to disassembly of the Y ram so at this point don't know what the deviation is/was. Is it a lot of wear for a Deckel judging from the scraping marks or better said lack of it? Seen worse and still performing work on it?

Best regards
Jeroen

497fd5d42758cd31f381facaa65739f2.jpg
4c524e845b6f43a2342a2c9b1d3dc069.jpg
59b4dfcc6128d591831b927f05349d8b.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

That bushing , and everything in the gearbox is lubricated via splash......
Keep the oil level at the indicated mark on the level sight glass and it should be fine for quite some time....
If the shaft is worn under size...you should deal with that as well....could undercut where the bushing rides and have it hard chromed/ground back to standard dimension.

As to the wear on the ways....guess it all depends on the class of work you need to do....

I would check to see the extent of the wear. Perhaps you could relieve (scrape ) to drop the center section so that the ends were back in play controlling the slide...
Need to replace the cotton wicks that feed oil to those ways from the slide above.....

Me i would consider a re-scrape
For sure you need a better arrangement to keep the chips out of that slide area....At the least real way wipers on both the slides and on the joint between ...
Or invest in a set of "Z" axis bellows.
Cheers Ross

Last edited:
That bushing , and everything in the gearbox is lubricated via splash......
Keep the oil level at the indicated mark on the level sight glass and it should be fine for quite some time....
If the shaft is worn under size...you should deal with that as well....could undercut where the bushing rides and have it hard chromed/ground back to standard dimension.

As to the wear on the ways....guess it all depends on the class of work you need to do....

I would check to see the extent of the wear. Perhaps you could relieve (scrape ) to drop the center section so that the ends were back in play controlling the slide...
Need to replace the cotton wicks that feed oil to those ways from the slide above.....

Me i would consider a re-scrape
For sure you need a better arrangement to keep the chips out of that slide area....At the least real way wipers on both the slides and on the joint between ...
Or invest in a set of "Z" axis bellows.
Cheers Ross
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the splash lubricating. The holes in the axle and the axle being hollow has thrown me off, it doesn't make sense to me to put holes in it and hollow it. But it was like this when I bought it, it should survive for a couple years.

Regarding the wear, I'm aiming for anything under 0.08mm over a 300mm travel. Not having a clue if this would be reasonable with this wear or age. At some point is was accurate looking at the original measuring reports.

Regards Jeroen

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Back