What's new
What's new

German rotary table info Hahn-Kolb (mechanical compensation like Sip)??

PaulM

Stainless
Just picked up a new to me old Hahn-Kolb rotary table. About the only info I found on it was a question on PM that went unanswered about 11 years ago (by the person I bought it from).

Seems to be a super precision table - 120 turns per rev - dial is graduated in arc seconds on the vernier. Only piece missing is the indicator for the degree markings on the table itself - seems to have gone missing. It fits into a small radial dovetail.

Some pictures
top view

Hand wheel showing vernier - there is a clear window over the vernier. Note the block with 3 cap screws - this encases a mechanism to mechanically move the vernier.

name plate - note the grease/oil fitting visible

Last one for the moment (less than optimum) a follower that runs under the 360 scale - it moves the vernier - which would correct for inor imperfections in the worm - similar to how Sip corrects on a MP3K

So anyone seen one of these before?
Would like to clean it up as it is quite grungy but key workings all mover freely. Drawings or experience from others who have seen one of these would help - I know you never want to use force on things as precise as this.
Have info on what oils to use? there is a sight glass so I want to fill with appropriate oil, there as well as all the other fittings.
Know if it was made by Hahn-Kohl - or who it was actually made by.
As noted the compensation mech seems similar to what Sip used on non optical jig bore.

Posted here as recommended by a fellow PM member -
Thanks for any help
Paul
I can post additional pictures (hopefully better ones of details)

Hi Paul,

I don't have any idea, which manufacturer could have made your round table. I never saw one that looks similar.

A hint:
Hahn+Kolb is a tool trader (and machine tool trader), not a manufacturer.
My Hauser jig boring machine has a Hahn+Kolb-sign, too. The round table seems to have the same error compensating mechanism for the vernier scale.

In many cases there is a Hahn+Kolb-label and a label from the manufacturer. But in some cases, the manufacturer is unknown.

Cheers,
Karl

Paul,

here is my advice about de-rusting H&K rotary table parts. It has before and after pictures.

A question about the "follower" mechanism. Is it compensating for errors in the worm gear (which repeat after each revolution of the handle = 3 degrees motion of the table? Or is it compensating for errors in the spur gear (which are unique over the entire 360 degrees of table rotation)? It seems to me one needs both, but perhaps the first effect is larger than the second.

Cheers, Bruce

PS: regarding oil, the owners card that came with my H&K rotary table specified oil which was 35 cSt @ 50 Celsuis viscosity. After looking at a conversion table I decided to use ISO46 gear oil.

Hi Bruce,
A question about the "follower" mechanism. Is it compensating for errors in the worm gear (which repeat after each revolution of the handle = 3 degrees motion of the table? Or is it compensating for errors in the spur gear (which are unique over the entire 360 degrees of table rotation)?
They ground the error of the angle into the outer surface of the table (like a correction ruler, but round instead of straight).
One tip of a lever always has contact to this ground face. The other end of the lever is always in contact with a pin that protrudes out of the vernier scale. The vernier scale always is pressed to one direction by a spring.

According to the manual, the engaged worm gear should have play (related to the spur gear).

Cheers,
Karl

Thanks for the insight - Bruce the table looks identical to the one that I think you show in your cabinet of FP2 accessories thread with the exception of the finer dial/vernier and compensation mechanism, you can see the identical dovetail that holds the degree marker. So whoever made these made a couple versions.

I'll post a few more pictures later.
Paul

The table looks identical to the one that I think you show in your cabinet of FP2 accessories thread with the exception of the finer dial/vernier and compensation mechanism.

I sold that table to a Dutch guy, let me know if you want his email address.

Back