What's new
What's new

GK21 motor speed control OK?

DJ2

Aluminum
I was looking around for a motor converter for my GK21, to go from single phase 230 V to three phase 230V. I noticed Fuji controllers at Dealerselectric.com; the model I saw was Fuji, FVR0.4S1S-7E. It also offers the option of speed control,but specifically has a disclaimer about synchronous motors. So here is the question, is the original Siemens-Schuckert Deckel motor synchronous or induction? Has anyone tried speed control? The machine has several pulley options so speed control is not critical but would be a nice feature.

Dan

I think that your motor is induction. Send the motor plate details to DrivesWarehouse.com and ask for their recommendations for a VFD. The VFD will use an input of 240v, single phase, and output 240v, three phase with a variable frequency for speed control. I have been running my 480v, three phase GK-21 using a 220v rotary phase converter witH the output stepped up to 440 with transformers. I moved my shop to sunny Florida a year ago and have not yet powered my machinery.

Jim

Jim, sounds good. I bought the Fuji last week, so we shall see. I'll report back. My logic was that there are enough pulley selections so it will be OK with or without additional speed control.

Dan

The Fuji controller works well; since the speed control works by frequency and I'm not able to see the actual wave form, I input a control parameter limiting the frequency low end, I don't want to take a chance to burn it out. What I have now will allow me to dial out vibration.

DJ

I don't think I have ever seen synchronous motors on machine tools. I have seen them on old electric clocks and on 3,000-hp ore grinders. The fact that the nameplate speed is 1660 at 60 Hz tells you that it cannot be synchronous. Synchronous speed would have to be an integer multiple of 60 Hz, like 1800 RPM.

Back