What's new
What's new

Info Deckel FP2 Coolant Pump Chain

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

Sadly my FP2 was bought with the Coolant pump missing ... :angry:

So I'm just about to "Splash out" on a pump (Excuse the pun) and also purchase a new chain for the drive to the sprocket gear.

Can anyone advise on:

How the chain is sized ... do I need to shorten a NEW chain or is it correctly sized?
How tight should the chain be?

Thanks very much :)

John :typing:

Hi John,

How the chain is sized ... do I need to shorten a NEW chain or is it correctly sized? How tight should the chain be?

On my FP2, which is about the same vintage as yours, this chain is slightly "floppy". Not enough to fall off or skip a tooth, but definitely NOT snug. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but it works fine (and I do use coolant and the pump from time to time).

Cheers,
Bruce

If you find the pump chain unacceptably loose (wear on the sprockets and chain stretch) some tightening can be done by shimming between the base of the pump and the machine frame....
Its a pretty non critical fit here...Loose is fine ..low speed low load.
Cheers Ross

I guess I'm kind of sitting on the side of "do you really care?" I mean, originality is always fun to have but the coolant pump on most of our manual machines is, I'm guessing, rarely used. With a few exceptions, I suspect that most of the manual Deckels have migrated to less frequent use and a large number of them are now in personal home shops (never seen a survey to that effect... Maybe I'm wrong but that is my sense, at least in the US). Having coolant on a home machine is probably not the best idea as it will likely end up just causing rust.

There are other modern alternatives such as drip and mist systems. Sure, they might not be as nice as a flood but it is probably more realistic to use the drip/mist on your home based machine.... Just my 2 cents.

Alan

Point taken on coolant.....However there is an alternative.
On my home FP2 i have clear cutting oil in the sump.
It is compatible with the way oil so no issue with "tramp" oil contamination. Use it straight , no dilution as there is literally no
maintenance, and it won't cause any issues on the ways, rust or build up.....

Does present other clean up issues and a good table drain setup and keeping the oil off the floor is imperative.

Don't run it on every job, but its there is i think i need something....
Spray mist and micro drip are good as well. Needing to fire up the compressor and the stuff floating in the air i am not wild about.....

Use the same oil in the coolant tank of my CNC's (FP4NC) as well.

Cheers Ross

Point taken on coolant.....However there is an alternative.
On my home FP2 i have clear cutting oil in the sump.
It is compatible with the way oil so no issue with "tramp" oil contamination. Use it straight , no dilution as there is literally no
maintenance, and it won't cause any issues on the ways, rust or build up.....

Does present other clean up issues and a good table drain setup and keeping the oil off the floor is imperative.

Don't run it on every job, but its there is i think i need something....
Spray mist and micro drip are good as well. Needing to fire up the compressor and the stuff floating in the air i am not wild about.....

Use the same oil in the coolant tank of my CNC's (FP4NC) as well.

Cheers Ross

Ross
I know this an old thread but need a little missing info. I'm continuing to clean up the FP3 and in a few weeks I should have a list ready to order some things I will need. Will probably use a combination of products for cutting. what "clear cutting oil" are you using in your DEckel's?

Thanks
Andy

Believe Ross uses Trim OM cutting oils. Not sure exactly which one. I've used both Trim OM 287 and 303 with good results. Only downside is if running carbide tooling at the recommended speeds it smokes the oil.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I would use a spraybottle if there was a essential need for coolant which is almost never
It is such a mess
I prefere to deal with the extra wear of the tooling instead (I have plenty of tooling though)

Peter

I would like to use the coolant pump myself, feels like such a waste to not use it. The mess it causes I think is the least of my concerns, I think that can be mitigated with use of poly carbonate screens, foremost of my concerns is the idea of rust in the sump.

I wish I hadn't bought the 5L of concentrated coolant I did, should have bought more Ballistol. Non-toxic and never caused rust, the remains of the dried coolant I used reacted with the zink coating on some homemade covers I have on the lathe, also caused rust spots in places. Ballistol never reacted with metal negatively, the water evaporated and left a layer of what looked like machine oil. I should have simply bought more of it, but thought (incorrectly) that a properly formulated coolant would work better.

Back